Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Planning for ground frosts

Hi all 

With this changeable weather I often watch the TV weather forecasets to see what will happen to the temperatures over night. However, its actually quite rare for the bulletin to actually warn of ground frost. 

Does anyone know of any websites where you can focuss on the loacl area for frost warning?

Thanks

• lazy gardenerlazy gardener Posts: 317

Eh??-i have often heard of "gardeners beware of a ground frost"-suggest you listen more carefullyimage

Local radio is probably the best you are going to get as regards a foreacastimage

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I look at themet office 5 day forecast and if 5C or less is predicted I assume a possible frost. Right now the forecast is wet and windy so not likely

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • bcosergiobcosergio Posts: 27

I have heard that as well but its not exactly reliable. 2 days ago we had a ground frost with no prior warning on the national or local weather reports. Perhaps they didn't know it was coming, perhaps its not always mentioned. I would prefer to check out these things myself instead of leaving it upto chance.

I would have thought with the internet as powerful as it is there would be some form of site with filters to set for such things.

• lazy gardenerlazy gardener Posts: 317

But if local sources/media dont know-how can an internet site know?-it is still driven by humans.

Weather in the UK is notoriously difficult to predict 100%

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Have a look out there. If the sky has cleared and the temperature is dropping the chances of frost are high. We might get a frost that's not mentioned on a weather forecast but rarely a frost that I didn't expect.

and the met office has all the info, you can look and see what the cloud cover is and what's happening to it

In the sticks near Peterborough

image sorry but I'm not sure why this is so hard. All local information may or may not be broadcast. Sometimes these things are mentioned, sometimes they are not. stations have access to various info but doesn't mean they use it. 

All I was asking was if anyone knew of any sites that had it. If not then ok I'll try elsewhere.

nutcutlet wrote (see)

Have a look out there. If the sky has cleared and the temperature is dropping the chances of frost are high. We might get a frost that's not mentioned on a weather forecast but rarely a frost that I didn't expect.

and the met office has all the info, you can look and see what the cloud cover is and what's happening to it

Thanks nut, thats the sort of response I was hoping for. image

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

I use xcweather.co.uk.  You can input a place very near you and get a detailed prediction for the next few days. You will be able to make an educated guess.

Remember, you will not get a ground frost at this time of year if there is any wind.

Cheers Welshonion thats the ticket!

• Your eyes and your common sense should tell you a lot, and many folk keep year-to-year diaries of when there's been a late or early unseasonal frost.

If it's cloudy or windy, then it's not likely there'll be a frost, the wind keeps the air moving so things don't get too cold, and the clouds act as a blanket round the earth to keep the warm air in.

If there's no cloud cover, and the air is still, then there is a slight risk of a ground frost, it can be quite warm during the day, but without cloud, the temperature can plummet at night.  Obviously you won't get a frost in the middle of July, as everything has been warmed by the sun (even if it's hidden from us mere mortals by cloud), but September/October time I keep a close eye on things outside if I've got any half-hardy perennials out.  Another week or so and I won't be worried about frosts (this is Sheffield).  The further north you go, the more likely a late frost.