Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Plant ID - blue flowers

Can anyone tell me what this blue flowered plant is, whether its a shrub or perennial, and if its hardy ??

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

It's a ceratostigma, I think C. willmottianum 

A pic of the shape of the shrub would conform (or not)image

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • chickychicky Posts: 10,409

Thanks Nut - its not in my garden, so won't be able to take more pics, but it was about a 2 ft mound shape.

Loved the blue too, Patsy.  It was in flower today, but not sure since when, or how long it will go on.

I should think it's willmottianum then chicky. Flowers for ages and popular with insects including the hummingbird hawkmoth. Very easy to grow.

Just done some googling, and thats definitely the one.  Will add it to my (20% offimage) crocus orderimage.  Many thanks Nutimage

Will look at that one too Verd -are the flowers the same blue?

I couldn't keep that one. Easy from seed but didn't last once I'd planted them out.

There's also C. plumbaginoides, a spreader with amazing red purple leaves with the blue flowers. Nice in a pot and more likely to have the coloured leaves if  a bit starved and dry

I was disappointed Verdun. I had great hopes for griffithii.

I may have another try and keep it in a pot so I can protect it in the winter.