Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

plant identification+

Can anyone tell me what the name of this shrub is please - and also does anyone know if it has any connections in triggering hayfever ? 

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Might be viburnum tinus but I don't see the viburnum beetle's teeth marks.

ait's pollen will justbe pollen and may cause hayfever but the berries won't

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

I don't know what it is , but any flowering plant, tree or grass can produce hayfever in someone susceptible.  Some people are allergic to tree pollen, other only grasses, the really unfortunate ones are allergic to all three, and can be suffering from early spring to September.

• TopbirdTopbird Posts: 8,352

Looks like Vibernum Tinus to me as well. I would have thought this was one of the better shrubs for hayfever sufferers because it flowers very early in the season (often in winter if it's mild enough) but .... I don't know for sure. You might have some luck Googling to find out what you need to know now you know the name of the plant.

If it is likely to cause a problem for you - then this is a shrub which doesn't mind regular pruning & you could just shear it when the flower heads have formed but not opened. I often have very few flowers on mine because I like to keep it trimmed to a tidy shape (I trim it twice a year much like cutting a hedge) & just use the large dark green shrub as a good background foil for other plants.

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • Thanks everyone !