London (change)
Today 28°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 26°C / 17°C
19 messages
28/04/2012 at 19:13

I have never planted a rose before so I need some advise please

I have bought a bare root rambling rector and the instructions say use plenty of organic matter preferably farmyard manure - i keep chickens and guinea pigs - can i use their manure?

also can i plant it in a pot and if so how big would the pot need to be. 

thank you

Elsa x

28/04/2012 at 19:23

Your chicken and guinea pig manure should be fine, but any manure should be well rotted, not used fresh.

Rambling rector gets to a very large size indeed, and I would be doubtful it would be happy in a pot.

28/04/2012 at 19:26

Definitely not a rose for a pot! 

28/04/2012 at 20:19

yes i didnt think it would like a pot because it is a huge plant!

thanks i wil use my chicken and guinea pig manure - i thought it shoul be ok, but i thought i had better check as i know a lot of people put horse manure on their roses.

i need to cover a large area quickly - does anyone know how much growth i will get from my rector this year please?

28/04/2012 at 20:37
Rambling Rector is a fantastic rose that will achieve 20feet plus when fully grown. My own rose was still holding some flowers in december!! It is possible to make 8-10 feet of growth in a single season as long as the weather is on your side. All new plants need to be well watered for their 1st year, in order to establish well, and roses are no exception. When planting, make sure you plant 2 feet from the wall or fence that your growing it up, to ensure the rain reaches the roots, and water heavily, once a week, in hot weather. Giving it a thourough drenching with several cans worth of water is better than watering a little but often(that simply encourages weak surface roots).lastly, in may/june give your rose a good feed with rose feed or tomato feed, to boost those blooms.
28/04/2012 at 20:49

Thank you Daisybird - I want my rector to be huge, huge, HUGE!!! x

28/04/2012 at 20:53
Oh no worries there, it will be!
28/04/2012 at 21:06

Your Rambling Rector like my Bobby James and Kiftsgate may need a couple of years to get going but then one day you'll go outside and look upwards and say "Holy Moses..." Yes, if the compost comes in contact with the roots, well rotted only. You can mulch with fresh stuff but keep it away from the stem. And a bucket of water each week for the first year would be appreciated.

28/04/2012 at 21:42

Elsa, if you want to plant a rose in a pot, there are plenty of patio roses available which have been bred especially to grow in pots.

28/04/2012 at 22:55
Paul N wrote (see)

Your Rambling Rector like my Bobby James and Kiftsgate may need a couple of years to get going but then one day you'll go outside and look upwards and say "Holy Moses..." 

I like the sound of this.  Last autumn I planted a Rambling Rector to grow through a large tree and a Kiftsgate to cover a double garage.  I look forward to the 'Holy Moses' moment.

19/07/2013 at 13:16

My kiftsgate is magnificent this year and I'm about to plant a Rambling Rector too. I hope it will be ok on a North Facing wall!!

19/07/2013 at 14:26

Rambling Rector is a very thorny chap. Be sure to put him well away from gates and paths. As I found to my cost.

19/07/2013 at 17:56

Not a rose for a pot also put plenty of manure in the planting hole  but before putting the rosé in put a thin layer of soil back so the rose roots don't get scorched by the manure.i have had my rambler for a few years now and always puts a good show on . I will try and send a picture of it 

19/07/2013 at 18:05

sorry elsa I don't know how to get a photo from my gallery on to this page,

Annie 

19/07/2013 at 19:00

Never mind Annie, here is a Google one.

http://www.rosesuk.com/gfx/media/home/rroses/rambling_rector.jpg

19/07/2013 at 19:01

annie8, you click on the oak tree in the bar above your post and it should tell you what to do. However each stage takes a little time.

19/08/2013 at 10:32

I've been given a rambling rector but my house is rented, so I'd like it to be removable in a couple of years. Could I pot it and let it grow over a trellis? Any hints/tips?

19/08/2013 at 10:43

You might as well hope to keep Godzilla in a pot.  It will have to be a very big pot to stop it blowing over when the rose begins to grow. This little beauty can put on 15 feet a year once it finds its feet. You would have to keep cutting it back in the certain knowledge that it was very unhappy to be potted up, just desperate to be let loose on a handy tree and that the pot was a very temporary measure.

20/08/2013 at 15:22

Thanks for that, Waterbutts - I suspected as much!

email image
19 messages