London (change)
Today 15°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 17°C / 7°C
21 to 27 of 27 messages
21/02/2013 at 20:52
Thanks all! Great to have found some kindred spirits to give me advice! I'm all about the vegetables and herbs so everything from courgettes and chilli peppers to parsnips beet root and salad leaves!

Hoping for a much better year for my fruit too!
21/02/2013 at 21:08

Hi LorraineP, I do think when it comes to sowing seeds it does depend on what your location is and what your growing on conditions are like. I live in a fairly Southern part of the country. I don't have a green house but have an ever increasing amount of coldframes. Like you I've already sown Lobelia & Cosmos and they are now outside and some of the Cosmos has been pricked out and potted on already. If it were me seeing as you have already sown them I wouldn't give up on them. If they do fail in your passage way, you can always sow some more.

There are some eager, ever optimistic, impatient seed sowers on here.

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/the-potting-shed/seeds-are-up/70240.html

21/02/2013 at 21:50

hollie hock, I think that's me you're talking about in your last paragraph! Not so optimistic though after last year, such a lot of waste, and it didn't help that the rest of the year was so dismal! Never mind, never say die, although most of my tomatoes did. I've just bought some garlic, but it's so cold I just don't want to go out there at the moment. Hold me back someone!!

21/02/2013 at 22:34

Hi maggie, I had a good show  of early seed sowing last year, but I'm a flower grower rather than veg.

21/02/2013 at 23:16
I planted up cornflower about a month ago inside. I potted them on when they had true leaves and they have been in the unheated greenhouse for about 9 days now and doing great. Mugworts out there too snd so is my Cerinthe and im in Fife Scotland. Had some cold nights but they are coping well.
09/03/2013 at 14:49

i have dahlia i am desperate to sow in unheated greenhouse. if i put fleece over them can i get started or should i wait a few more weeks

09/03/2013 at 15:06
carol moore2 wrote (see)

i have dahlia i am desperate to sow in unheated greenhouse. if i put fleece over them can i get started or should i wait a few more weeks

They need a bit of warmth to get started-try a sowing indoors -but they will need good light once germinated

email image
21 to 27 of 27 messages