London (change)
Today 13°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 14°C
21 to 25 of 25 messages
12/01/2013 at 17:26

Thank you Rosa for the lovely video (above). There are several other videos too, but I watched the one about climbers with the lovely Geoff Hamilton, wish he was still here.

12/01/2013 at 18:13

Rambling Rose Albertine. Will cover the fence very quickly. Masses of beautiful Pink blooms.

12/01/2013 at 19:11

Since your garden isn't, you say, large, I really recommend at least half the plants should be evergreen; otherwise you will be looking at a collection of dead twigs for 6 months of the year. (and that includes I'm afraid Clematis Montana) There are evergreen clematis, but I believe that they would not tolerate v. cold conditions. What part of the country are you? I am in East Anglia and have had an evergreen clematis that did almost too well.  Mermaid is a fairly evergreen rose, I expect there are others, I always go to rosebuddies.com for advice. Good luck with it and do keep us posted.

13/01/2013 at 16:32

As this is your fence, would it be possible to lessen its visual effect by slicing a couple of feet off the top of it?

13/01/2013 at 18:07

Thanks so much for the ideas, I am feeling inspired to get cracking as soon as the weather brightens up.

Artjak: we are in Gloucestershire

Joe-the-gardener: I am pretty sure that we can't touch the height of the fence unfortunately and the one positive is that it provides us with privacy from a row of terraced cottages behind us.

email image
21 to 25 of 25 messages