Start a new thread

1 to 7 of 7 replies

Hi can anyone offer any suggestions please? We have some quite large laurels and the ground underneath is very dry and constantly in shade (thre is a 6 foot wall behind it also - have tried several plants there but without any luck. Would like some perrenials and ground cover if possible to fill a fairly large gap. Any suggestions please?

periwinkle   seems to grow anywhere   but can get a bit out of control if not carfull 

Have got periwinkle in other shady areas - would like something different if possible so would welcome other ideas but if not may have to have some more periwinkle. Thanks for the idea though.

Shropshire Lass

I have large clumps of marjoram growing along the base of my laurel hedge. It seems to do ok and is always alive with bees in the summer.

Garden Maniac

Foxgloves, bluebells and ferns grow under mine - I've not had much success with anything else though!

The dead nettles are usefull in dry shade, they have quite long roots and send them deep down for a bit of moisture. Try Lamium Orvala or I have a feeling Tellima otherwise known as Fringecup does okay but it may require a little bit more organic matter or leaf mould of anything you have to beef the soil up a bit. Asarum European is a wonderfull little ground cover plant aswell though again it may need a little help in the way of soil. I think someone wrote a whole book on dry shade recently Graham Rice .... I think.... so there's bound to be lots of things you could try.

many thanks - will look into these