London (change)
Today 13°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 7°C
7 messages
05/04/2013 at 23:19

Hi

I would like to know what plants would be suitable for growing at the base of a yew tree. Ideally I would like them to be evergreen with the odd rockery/alpine plant and was looking at Juniperus.

Any help/advice would be appreciated please before I empty my purse or worse ruin our lovely yew tree!!

Thank you,

Jo

06/04/2013 at 07:39

I don't know of anything that will grow in the dense dry shade of a yew tree.  The only upside is that not even weeds will grow there 

06/04/2013 at 08:14

Surely there is something yew can grow  oh sorry will get my coat.

Lyn
06/04/2013 at 08:22
We see a lot of yew trees in our work in churchyards, the others are correct, nothing at all will grow under the yew. They grow huge in time, my advise would be to get rid of it, especially if its near your house.
06/04/2013 at 08:34

Thanks for your feedback so far. The yew has a preservation order so we don't have much other than to work with it! A tree bench may be the answer then!!

06/04/2013 at 08:55

That would be a gorgeous idea - I love having a place where I can sit under the thick foliage of overhanging branches in the rain and watch the garden 

something like this http://www.peterweldon.co.uk/range/treeseats/images_treeseats/tree1.jpg would be wonderful!

06/04/2013 at 11:57

I have a large yew tree [ 200 years old ] and not surprisingly it is very dry and shady beneath it. However over the years when I have had an excess of plants I have found that there are a few things that grow there. These include: snowdrops, primula, vinca [ although doesnt flower ], pernyetta, honesty, dog violets and symphytium. I continue to try new things each year and although it is not the best looking area of the garden it is not too bad. Try it you might be surprised.

email image
7 messages