London (change)
Today 22°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 23°C / 15°C
9 messages
09/04/2013 at 14:33

What plants are good for a garden area that gets morning sun but then a lot of shade rest of day

It is for a north facing front garden

would like medium plants maybe with flowers or not with spring and winter interest

are grasses suitable as well

anyone got any clues?

09/04/2013 at 15:15

I use this site a lot for its extensive list of shade loving plants.

http://www.letsgogardening.co.uk/Shade_Loving_Plants.htm

09/04/2013 at 15:23

Where to start?

Spring bulbs - anaemones, chinodoxa, species crocus, smaller daffs, bluebells, muscari, erythroniums, frittillary- if moist enough.

Plants - heucheras, japanese anemones, hardy geraniums- lots to chose from, Vinca minor, Solomons seal, epimediums- if dry shade, ajugas for ground cover, yes various ivies, lamiums.

Grasses - I've got an evergreen yellow grass, a carex I think, growing really well in a dry shade similar situation.

It does depend on why it's shade/what's causing it. Under deciduous trees lots of the spring bulbs pop up, flower then die back as the tree canopy above closes up. The soil beneath trees is invariably dry too, because of the tree's roots, so you need to plant in 'pockets' to get things established.

Fences/house walls however are permanent so the shade is almost 'deeper'. Usually just as dry, because of the rain shadow.

Hope some of these suggestions help. J.

09/04/2013 at 16:16

How could I forget Hellebores- some bigger than others, in flower now.

Also Euphorbia amygdaoides-Robbiae, yes can be invasive, but copes very well in dry shade & easily pulled up when nec.

Hardy fuschias too will cope, some obviously taller than others. J.

09/04/2013 at 16:34

Brilliant suggestions from jo4eyes, I would add hebes for evergreen interest, especially the small leaved varieties, ferns ofc any size and brilliant colours, Fatsia Japonica for architectural shape and to light up a North facing corner and Acers (some can stay reasonably small) if you want to contrast with the purple varieties especially. Acers will need a bit of decent soil, but will cope well once established.

09/04/2013 at 18:36
Don't dismiss ferns...lovely varieties like Ursulas red. Silver grey/blue foliage with red stems.
Bowles golden grass is beautiful.....yellow stems, leaves and billowing flower heads. Plant with aster frikartii monch for blue n yellow from late summer. Squeeze in rudbekia Goldsturn too for late summer magic.
Hostas and astrantias if soil is reasonably moist. Dicentra spectabilis....the white is lovely.....and aconitums would excel there. try salix Hakuro Nishiki ON ITS OWN ROOTS. Usually they are seen as half standard trees but can be had as dwarf shrubs...lovely foliage. Mine is in partial shade.
Polemonium stairway to heaven is variegated perennial with blue flowers in summer...perfect for your position. Mine is near a dwarf purple berberis for great contrast
12/04/2013 at 14:16

Hi Gardengirl.. just came across this and thought it maybe of help:

Plants that like shade: http://www.rattangardenfurniture.co.uk/blog/plants-for-shade-10-plants-for-part-and-full-shade-areas/

16/08/2014 at 09:43

Great info from all of you.Are any of these poisonous/harmful to cats???

Are any of them good for bumblebees???

I am a novice as you may guess!!

16/08/2014 at 17:56

GG go to plantsforshade.co.uk  Ive just ordered a few plants from them. They have a great selection but I cant vouch for them yet as Ive not received them yet.

email image
9 messages