Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Please help me before I do something I regret !!

My neighbours have this delightful plant; would love to know what the plant is, in the jungle of a garden, and despite numerous discussions and polite conversations they refuse to do anything about it.

It grows at an alarming rate and despite pulling a lot of it down when I had my new fence about 2 months ago it's grown rampant again, and i'm really worried it's going to push down my new fence, like it did with the old one. image

So now to my question how do I destroy it for good? They really aren't bothered with keeping ontop of the problem and i've got to the point where I just want it gone image

Any advice would be very very much appreciated.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

If its on their side, there is nothing you can do. If it knocks a fence over, it's not a good fence to start with. If it pushes the new fence over, give them the bill for repair.

If its creeping under the fence on to your side, spray anything on your side with glyphosate.

• Ice_TwinIce_Twin Posts: 82

It's a solid fence, but all fences have their breaking point eventually, and as for presenting them with the bill I doubt that would go down well, nice idea if only it was enforceable. image

Is there really nothing I can do, apart from the getting rid of bits that try to get through?

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Looks like Virginia Creeper, can be rampant if left untamed. Glyphosate sprayed on will kill it. Spray on a hot day, hopefully at least a day or two before any rain, then a week later do it again. It will take about a month to die back properly, any regrowth should be sprayed again. Not that I am advocating that you do such a thing, as doing so is technically Criminal Damage, however if it was yours and you wanted to kill it, that would be the best method.

• AirwavesAirwaves Posts: 82

I'd certainly want rid if were growing in my garden, Any roots in your garden you could try using glyphosate weed killer,roots in their garden you would have to leave to them I think.I am not sure what it is but wondered if it could be a Russizn Vine. 

I  am sure others will be more savvy! good luck with  clearing it

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 3,502

A friend of mine told me only this week his next door neighbour called the police on him for chopping down their ivy when trying to mend his boundary.

I'd ask if they want the plant and if not offer to go around and destroy it.

Please take a pic of some more of their garden though - it looks amazingimage

Wearside, England.

I'd gladly go round and get rid of it roots and all if they'd let me, but i'll recommend glyphosate and ask if they want me to buy some.

I don't mind what they grow in their garden (cough jungle, do you like their tyres) however when it impedes on my garden I start to get annoyed. image

Thank you all for the recommendations, although i'd still love a definite answer on what plant it is. image

Just checked the two plants you have suggested

I think virginia creeper is a no as it doesn't change colour, and it does look a lot like the russian vine but it's never flowered so i'm not 100%

• Are you aware that glysophate will kill the whole plant, on their side as well as yours. The only alternative is constant hacking back on your side.

No I wasn't aware of that, I thought it would have to be applied to the roots which are on their side. image Thank you

• No, it is absorbed through the leaves and taken down to the roots, systemically killing the whole plant. It kills everything green it touches.