London (change)
Today 17°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 10°C
16 messages
02/06/2013 at 19:11

weeds are taking over, it looks like i havnt cut my grass in years but i have to do it each week, everytime i do it this weed that looks like leaves grows back thicker and faster everytime, it looks like i cant be bothered but i dont know how to stop it, im a single mum and even though i work 3 jobs the thought of paying a landscape gardener to re turf it and chop the trees back etc fills me with dread because i cant afford it unless done bit by bit month by month. i havnt got any extra hands to help me so its something i have to do on my own when i get a chance. any advise on the easiest way to dig everything up and cut back would be brill, i know its going to take ages and il be stuck with mud for a while but i know as soon as its done i can pay for someone to re turf and new fence etc. the people that used to live here didnt touch the garden it seemed and iv been left tackeling a complete nightmare that just seems to be getting worse everytime i cut it back, please help.

02/06/2013 at 19:18

Ok, I think the first step is to identify the weed(s) that are causing you to feel soI overwhelmed. Is there any chance you could post a picture?

02/06/2013 at 19:19

a pic to ID the weed would be a good start Nikki

02/06/2013 at 19:23

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/24632.jpg?width=272&height=350&mode=max

02/06/2013 at 19:28

nikki

first relax.  theres a lot of people here who will try to help you.

a picture would be ideal.  if you cant do that then describe as best you can what this weed looks like. there are lawn weed killers for example that might solve the problem.you prob dont need to dig up your lawn either.

dont worry what other people think either. 

what trees need cutting back?  are they just shrubs? learn bit by bit about what you have in your garden and then you can deal with them at the proper time.  the golden rule is to cut shrubs back after flowering so is anything flowering now?

take one job at a time.  decide what you want to do first and then ask us on the forum

the garden is a joy...and it will be for you

02/06/2013 at 19:30

Iv posted a pic hopefull you can see. It's literally had me in tears it like a nightmare and looks it to

02/06/2013 at 19:32

I hate to suggest chemical warfare, but that's a broad-leafed weed in a lawn, and you can get things that kill doctyledonous plants like that without harming monocotyledonous grasses.

The reason I hate to suggest it is that some of them are so persistent that you can use them to clear weeds out of a pasture, let horses graze in that pasture, heap the horsemuck in a corner, let it rot for a year, spread it around the roses and kill the roses because the weedkiller's still active after all that.

The alternative is extreme trial of patience and your knees: paint it with glyphosate everywhere it comes up. It's probably linked underground (easy to check by pulling one out and seeing whether a fat white rhizome comes with it) and if it is you won't have to hit every surface piece, just enough of them in each "grid square" of the lawn.

If you really want to do it all physically, I suppose you could cut two rows of turfs, then do a row at a time, cutting row 3, laying it on top of row 5, putting row 2 upside-down where row 1 was, cutting row 4, laying it on top of row 6, putting row 3 upside-down where row 2 was and so on. No guarantee of it killing things, but if you then turfed over that you'd be giving the new lawn a major headstart. Put some broad-leaf-only weedkiller between turned turfs and new turf and you've probably got it. Just be really careful not to get it on anything else.

02/06/2013 at 19:35

Also: is this it?

http://www.google.co.uk/images?q="ground+elder"

If so, it's a bit of a sod to fight but there is some good news:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q="ground+elder"+edible

02/06/2013 at 19:36

I live in a Victorian town house, no horse will fit.. I'm not a gardening person so I have no clue At all. I work full time and part time in evenings and then at weekends. All I know is I have a nightmare on my hands and a neighbour that won't leave me alone about it and I know I'm sounding so dramatic but I don't know what else to do

02/06/2013 at 20:01

Looks very much like ground elder to me, which is unfortunately one of the more pernicious perennial weeds, but it can be controlled. Mowing it won't kill it, but a combination of chemical control and light exclusion will knock it back.

I'm not clear on why your neighbour is giving you a hard time about it, you have inherited the problem and have limited resources to deal with it.

02/06/2013 at 20:09

I would tell that neighbour that instead of hounding you he/she could pull their finger out and give you a hand or at least some positive advice. If that's not possible, tell them to mind their own business and ignore them.

I'm sure someone on here with experience will advise you how to proceed, step by step in simple terms that a novice will understand!

Chin up and don't despair!

02/06/2013 at 20:46

Oh she is just one of them people I think. It just feels like a nightmare no matter how much I chop it back it comes back bigger and faster. Iv seen something called Scotts Roundup Ultra 3000 does anyone know if this is any good ?

02/06/2013 at 20:46
Charlie November wrote (see)

I hate to suggest chemical warfare, but that's a broad-leafed weed in a lawn, and you can get things that kill doctyledonous plants like that without harming monocotyledonous grasses.

The reason I hate to suggest it is that some of them are so persistent that you can use them to clear weeds out of a pasture, let horses graze in that pasture, heap the horsemuck in a corner, let it rot for a year, spread it around the roses and kill the roses because the weedkiller's still active after all that.

The alternative is extreme trial of patience and your knees: paint it with glyphosate everywhere it comes up. It's probably linked underground (easy to check by pulling one out and seeing whether a fat white rhizome comes with it) and if it is you won't have to hit every surface piece, just enough of them in each "grid square" of the lawn.

If you really want to do it all physically, I suppose you could cut two rows of turfs, then do a row at a time, cutting row 3, laying it on top of row 5, putting row 2 upside-down where row 1 was, cutting row 4, laying it on top of row 6, putting row 3 upside-down where row 2 was and so on. No guarantee of it killing things, but if you then turfed over that you'd be giving the new lawn a major headstart. Put some broad-leaf-only weedkiller between turned turfs and new turf and you've probably got it. Just be really careful not to get it on anything else.

Charlie November, these paragraphs would give me a headache, let alone if I was an inexperienced gardener!!

02/06/2013 at 23:18
nikki ca wrote (see)

Oh she is just one of them people I think. It just feels like a nightmare no matter how much I chop it back it comes back bigger and faster. Iv seen something called Scotts Roundup Ultra 3000 does anyone know if this is any good ?

Hi Nikki,

Roundup Ultra 3000 is a concentrated form of Roundup. I use Roundup on my drive (common access lane to garages). It is very effective. You can buy ordinary Roundup in a garden centre already diluted & ready to spray, or the concentrate to mix yourself. The Ultra 3000 is very expensive but better value for money because you don't have to use so much per litre of mix, but it doesn't do a different job than the ordinary so far as I can find out. When I say expensive our local garden centre sells a 1 litre can of 3000 concentrate for around £50 all bar a few pence. The thing with roundup is that it doesn't stay in the soil forever. You just spray the broadleaf plants and wait: nothing happens for 1-2 weeks and you begin to think "well that was a waste of time, effort & money" then you notice the plant wilting and going brown. That's how Roundup works, it goes from the leaves down into the plant and kills the roots. If you use it don't let any spray get on to other plants as they will die too. Also be carefull to mix the recommended dilutions.

Don't make the mistake either of using a garden sprayer you will use again for other purposes as I once did. I washed the container out 3 or 4 times thoroughly, pumped a couple of changes of clean water through the nozzle and used it to spray some cabbages for cabbage white caterpillers. This was very effective, the caterpillers all died of starvation because there were no cabbages left for them to eat!!!!  John H

03/06/2013 at 06:51

There is another alternative which is much easier but involves losing your lawn for some time. 

1. Mow it

2. Buy some weed suppressing membrane from B&Q or similar and some ground pegs (like tent pegs)

3. Cover lawn completely with membrane, peg down and leave for a whole year

4. Uncover this time next year, dig up anything that's still pathetically trying to grow

5. Aerate soil, rake over and reseed.

I know it's a bit drastic but I'm thinking of doing it for my lawn.  After being a single parent with a (more than) full time job for 4 years the dandelions have almost completely taken over my lawn, so I uttterly sympathise.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/24648.jpg?width=204&height=350&mode=max

I did buy a Fiskars Weed Puller but it didn't get all of the root up and there are so many it would take me all year.

Oh, and I forgot step 6:

tell the neighbour to do one

03/06/2013 at 07:54

Good advice here Nikki and I'd be inclined to follow Daisy's advice as you are short of time for tackling this and I understand that only too well being a single parent too. It may not look pretty - although you can put bark down on top which helps a bit- but it would let you tidy other areas in the meantime. Agree with step 6 too - and would also add that, as you've inherited it, that means other people aren't looking after their gardens either ...

and then do this  

email image
16 messages