London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 11°C
8 messages
28/08/2014 at 09:10

Good morning, I planted some fir trees about  two years ago and as they started to grow my neighbour reacted angrily to them saying that they would stop the sunlight from entering his side of the garden, so i told him that I would prune them and keep on top of it and not let that happen, anyway at the begining of this year we went away and a couple of weeks later I noticed that the fir trees were starting to turn brown and within four weeks they had all died, I was just wondering if there is any company in England who could test a sample of my soil and would let me know the results of the test, i have no problem paying for this service, I dont know what else to do , many thanks.

28/08/2014 at 09:41

Assad,even if the results were positive what good would it do,you could not prove who did it and its the beginning of a neighbors dispute,dont go there ,no-one wins from these things and the thought of living next door to someone your not happy will get worse as time goes on,leave it alone and think of some other way of doing your garden,and dont forget you might be able to keep the trees under good control But what happens if you leave and the new owner doesn't give a dam , this could be on your neighbors mind, nows the time to work out how to get along not build fences (so to speak) good luck Assad  

28/08/2014 at 10:21

Nevertheless, Assad, if this was a deliberate act it is criminal damage. I'm sure tests could be carried out on the trees and/or the soil. If no-one else has access to this part of your garden and the tests were positive it would appear that it was indeed your neighbour's action. This would then look like one of those cases where the neighbour thinks theirs is the only valid opinion, and if they win this one they'll expect to impose themselves on you in the future.

Alan, the question of what happens in the garden if Assad moves house is not his problem. No-one wants neighbour disputes but the quickest way to have one is to not be assertive.

I think I would plant new trees and have a chat with the neighbour about how the trees had mysteriously died and you were replacing them so you could have a 6-ft hedge. You might get some interesting body language.

Make sure you plant the new trees well back from the boundary so that you can get round to the other side to maintain it.

28/08/2014 at 11:13

And/or you could put up a six foot high fence

28/08/2014 at 11:45
But, I would also see it from his point of view. Were they Leylandii? I am inclined to believe that planting a row of Leylandii is an act of aggression. Would the trees have taken light from his garden? How tall did you intend to grow them? Did he know that?

Could you talk to him and ask what he would like as a hedge between you? Beech, Holly, Hornbeam?

I am not excusing him; it is criminal damage; just pointing out that there is a second side to every story.
28/08/2014 at 12:18

I have plenty of gardens with Leylandii hedges - none of them are aggressive!

28/08/2014 at 12:59
If they are kept well-trimmed they are fine; but boring!

It's not the hedges that are aggressive. It's the people that plant them and then don't care for them.
29/08/2014 at 09:56

The customer's always right, WO, unless you can persuade them otherwise!

email image
8 messages