11 messages
29/11/2013 at 12:36

Have three mature medium sized lime trees in the garden which are pollard pruned and create the typical lollipop every year. 

Couple of questions: do I need to prune back every year? and secondly when is the best time to prune?

appreciate some advice.

Thks.

29/11/2013 at 12:57

In my experience pollards are best cut back to the original pollarded head every 4 to 5 years, and I would do it about now, when the leaves are falling.

Hope that's helpful. 

29/11/2013 at 13:51

and another question. Can you pollard a tree that must be 50 years old but never been pollarded. It's not a big healthy looking tree, it's about as tall as our electric pole or a little more. and its branches keep dying back and dropping off

29/11/2013 at 13:58

Nut, not all trees take to being pollarded, and strictly speaking you wouldn't be pollarding a tree that old, you would be topping it, and then managing it as a pollarded tree, but it's unlikely that it would produce the lollipop effect of a true pollard.

There is an opportunity for homeowners to seek advice on their trees from professional arboriculturists on this forum http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/ .

29/11/2013 at 14:05

Should have said, it is a lime. 

It does have a branching arrangement  that could work but I fear it may result in die-back of the remains and death of the tree. But it's either that or the electric wires. Might end up removing it altogether.

I think the previous owners of our house lacked foresight, it's not the only tree planted too close to the wires. We've dealt with most of them now fortunately

29/11/2013 at 14:10

There's a discussion here http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/general-chat/40290-pollarding-limes.html which might be of help Nut 

29/11/2013 at 16:56

Thanks Dove. It's on this winter's list as is the Norway Maple threatening the wires further along. But I think the NM is on the way out so will just be removed.

29/11/2013 at 16:58

Oh well, it's firewood 

29/11/2013 at 17:14

Certainly is. That and the 6 enormous willows we took out a couple of years ago. Plus the two dealt with by the tree surgeon  because they were leaning over the road and we wimped out of doing it ourselves. 

03/12/2013 at 17:33

will warn you electric board very funny about people working within there safe zone 5m  of there wires my best advice to you is ask them to topped it out away from the lines they should do this free of charge normally the contractor will arrange site meeting so you can say what you require if they don't take it low enough for you then you will be safe enough to get it done by a tree climber or yourself      

03/12/2013 at 17:46

That's a good point - my son inherited a holly which had obviously grown from a dropping from a bird sitting on top of a telegraph post.  The holly was getting much too big for where it was, not to mention that it was about to get tangled in the wires - British Telecom paid for it to be taken down. 

email image
11 messages