London (change)
Today 17°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 11°C
3 messages
17/07/2014 at 17:54

In March I purchased a 12m x 4m x 3m high polytunnel.Raised beds down both sides path down the middle and irrigation.

Planted up everything ! Wrong decision, however tomatotes are prolific, some cucumbers,mega courgettes.

Brassicas too much leaf and parsnips with foliage the height of a small bush but the fruit short and ugly.

Is it all too hot ( i do keep the sides rolled up and the door open) not enough water, too much water?

Sweet peas went crazy as did the nasturtiums.

Any help on succesful polytunnel growing would be appreciated.

17/07/2014 at 18:07

Ray..........lucky you with such a good size tunnel

I guess the first thing you should do is decide what exactly you want to grow ( everything by the sound of it  )

Tomatos, peppers, cucumbers and all the "summer" stuff should do well in summer but to be honest, Brassicas and other veg would be far better outside.

You can perhaps make more use of the tunnel by overwintering veg and salad stuff and raising other veg in the Spring - either to grow in the tunnel or plant outside.

A bit of planning called for I think before you drive yourself mad...........I imagine there will be plenty of advice online if you look for Tunnel growing........give you a few ideas

Whatever you do, hope you enjoy the tunnel

Edd
17/07/2014 at 18:18

Tunnels are great for early growing and if you need to get things ready for show time, if you grow for show?

The fact is Britain does well with its veg without poly tunnels. No matter what. So do not mess.

If you have a certain variety that needs it then great.  They do make quick drying shed for shallots and onions to get them looking perfect though.

Edit: try new things that like these conditions. I think sweet potatoes like it? 

I know people that have tried sweetcorn in tunnels but they have put them out side now, after bad results. I know chillies will do well.

email image
3 messages