Start a new thread

1 to 12 of 12 replies

Please can anyone help. My apple tree is very poorly with a serious lack of apples this year

. Can anyone give me an idea what is wrong with it and a possible cure. 
 . It is a mature tree . Thanks.

pansyface

I WOULD SAY THAT YOUR APPLE TREE HAS A VERY NASTY CASE OF CANKER AND THAT IT WILL SHORTLY BE GOING TO MEET ITS MAKER.

PUT IT OUT OF ITS MISERY AND DIG IT UP.

Oh no. It's been gradually getting worse for 3 years. I just chopped the affected branches off but this year about 80%of the branches are affected. Gutted to lose it, the apples were delicious. I've got a smaller tree (I'll take a pic tomorrow). The apples have some kind of disease on the skin. If you could help with that I'd be most grateful. Thanks for your response. 

Probably apple scab without seeing it. It's been rampant this year.

Thanks dave. I'll post a pic tomorrow if you get chance to view. Regards Chris

Advertisement

Can anyone help me. My apples are like this each year.

My red apples

pansyface

YES, DAVE'S GUESS WAS CORRECT. IT IS SCAB.

IT ISN'T DANGEROUS AND AS HE SAYS IT HAS BEEN BAD THIS YEAR. YOU CAN PEEL AND EAT THE APPLES AND THEY WILL TASTE FINE.

YOU CAN'T DO MUCH ABOUT IT AS THE ONLY TREATMENT HAS BEEN WITHDRAWN.

HOPE FOR BETTER WEATHER CONDITIONS NEXT YEAR.

Hi Chris,

Apple scab causes cracking of the bark of young shoots, giving a point of entry for the apple canker fungus.

Cankers are rounded areas of dead, sunken bark. On small branches and fruiting spurs the infection may girdle the stem and kill it. On larger branches, the cankers are perennial and the affected area is covered in dead bark that shows concentric rings, which indicates active spread. Older cankers lose the bark, exposing dead wood. The cankers develop raised edges as the bark tries to heal. The part of the branch above the canker eventually dies as the vascular system is cut off and as the bark is lost, the branches become progressively weaker.

Unfortunately, I think that your tree is beyond redemption and cutting it down may be your only option.

Keep an eye on your smaller tree, in case that succumbs to canker too.

Canker is often worse on wet, heavy or acidic soils, so ensuring good drainage and raising pH can help.

Cut out any diseased material back to healthy green tissue. It may be advisable to use wound paint on the open cuts to prevent re-infection.

Sterilise tools after pruning with a suitable disinfectant, such as Jeyes Fluid.

Ideally, burn the diseased prunings.

All the best.

pbff

Thanks pbff. I've got some raspberry canes that are spreading like mad. Is there an ideal time to dig these up to pass on to someone else. 

Late autumn or early spring, while canes are dormant, are usually the best times to move raspberries, Chris

Thanks again 😁