London (change)
Today 28°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 26°C / 17°C
5 messages
29/05/2012 at 16:59

Just noticed my Aucuba plant that's been in the garden about 4 years, has wilted all over and the top 3 inches of each branch has turned black! It has been in a part of the garden that was flooded before this hot spell. Could it be the difference in conditions that's damaged it? Not sure whether to water it or feed it or cut it back. Help please!

29/05/2012 at 20:29

I would cut it back but not water it yet - let it dry out a bit first

Pam x

29/05/2012 at 21:48

Thanks Pam, I always thought Aucubas were invincible as they seem to grow in some very poor soil in town centre beds and the like. But I suppose mine has gone from being drowned,(the clay soil was flooded for weeks) to scorching in the sun. The poor thing has had a bad time of it. I lost a 2yr old clematis montana as well because of the wet conditions. I do hate losing something I've nurtured don't you? 

30/05/2012 at 05:32

I hope it recovers Doris  Last year I thought I had lost my Bottlebrush tree- it was about 10' tall and absolutely smothered in gorgeous flowers in summer but the 2 severe winters we had really hit it hard.We had to prune it right back to stumps but I am very pleased to say that it is growing well again and there should be about a dozen flowers this year  I do hate losing plants,too

Pam x

30/05/2012 at 18:37

I've given it a haicut and forked the soil around it as it was impacted and solid after drying out. We are due some rain here in Essex tonight so that should freshen it hopefully.Fingers crossed it survives.

email image
5 messages