London (change)
Today 18°C / 12°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 13°C
1 to 20 of 24 messages
14/06/2014 at 08:50

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/49307.jpg?width=276&height=350&mode=max

I have up to now lost 3-4 courgettes because they are going 'mushy' on the end, like this one.  It isn't isolated to one plant and all plants have healthy courgettes growing on them to.

Can anyone tell me why or what I'm doing wrong, is it because they've not been pollinated properly or because they've got wet???

Any advice gratefully received  

KEF
14/06/2014 at 08:57

OL if they hadn't been pollinated you wouldn't have a courgette. Sometimes the flowers don't drop off and start to rot, at that point I remove the flower before it rots the courgette and it would help if you put something under the courgette if the ground is wet and it is sitting on it.

I wouldn't throw that courgette away I'd cut rotten end off and eat the rest

14/06/2014 at 09:03
Im no expert, its been a few years since i grew courgettes, it cant be poor pollinatipn, or there wouldnt be a courgette, i would say this is most likely due to too much rain which has caused some sort of fungal problem. I would have a root under and around the plants- clear any debris, give them a good feed and hopefully it should get better after a couple of weeks. It might even be worth pinching out any small fruits to make sure any fungal nasties are minimised. Good luck
14/06/2014 at 09:08

I forgot to say, this is happening in the GH and the courgettes aren't resting on anything.  Silly me re the pollination.....the baby courgettes just seem to always appear though (I never was any good at biology!!) and I thought they then needed to be pollinated to grow properly 

KEF, too late to eat the rest, this was taken last night and I threw it away, it was tiny though, the photo makes it look bigger than it was so would only have been a mouthful 

14/06/2014 at 09:09

It might be a pollination problem if they're doing this when still small.  Otherwise I agree with KEF - remove the flower once it starts to die. 

I wouldn't grow them in the GH - need lots of insects visiting 

14/06/2014 at 09:14
It might just clear up, they are vigorous plants and might be able to shake off this problem
KEF
14/06/2014 at 09:16

OL are any growing to full size?  What are they growing in pots or in grow bags? Roughly how many are getting on each plant?  Have you fed them ? They like a tomato feed fortnightly once they are producing. When you water make sure you water at the base and don't wet the leaves and fruits.

I agree with rebecca about pinching out some of the small ones if you aren't getting any of a decent size.

14/06/2014 at 09:24

I have some that are growing brilliantly, almost at full size.  I haven't been removing the flowers so it might be that, or getting wet  I will try and water differently.  

I have some inside and some outside, and they are all growing really well. The GH door is open, as it usually is at the moment and lots of bees are going in. I have some in pots in grow bags and others just in pots....see pics below.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/49313.jpg?width=276&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/49314.jpg?width=276&height=350&mode=max

KEF
14/06/2014 at 09:38

OL as Dove says they should be outside, all of them.

You have a lot in your GH and I think some things should come out to make some space for air to circulate, especially for your toms.  

If the courgette plants are producing good sized ones and some funny little ones remove the funny little ones. They might stop the new ones developing. 

14/06/2014 at 09:40

Ok, thanks. I will have a shuffle about later and make some room for the pots somewhere.

Thanks everyone 

14/06/2014 at 12:55

Sorry KEF you are putting the cart before the horse.  There is always a baby courgette before pollination if it is a female flower.  The male flowers obviously have no courgette behind the flower.

Poor pollination is always a problem at the start of the season until the males and females plus pollinating insects get in sync.  If it is a good summer you will be giving courgettes to anybody that doesn't run away fast enough when they see you coming bearing a carrier bag.

Anyone for courgette and chocolate cake?

14/06/2014 at 14:37

I have about 7 plants too Welshonion, I grew too many  I will be making all sorts with them soon (I hope).

That's what I'd thought about the pollination thing but then thought I'd misunderstood, like I said not very good on the biology side of things 

14/06/2014 at 14:51

When 'poor' pollination is mentioned in this context, it often means only partial pollination has occurred.  Each seed in multi-seeded fruits like courgettes, strawberries, sweetcorn etc needs to be pollinated.  If only a few of them are in an individual fruit, you can get effects like distorted strawberries, corn with many undeveloped kernels on the cob and oddly shaped members of the cucumber family.  Often the plant will shed such fruit.

14/06/2014 at 14:52
Ok, back form a successful shopping trip, so here's my plan of action;

1. Put the courgettes that are currently in grow bags (2 I think) into buckets, similar to the one the others are in.

2. Move them outside.

3. Remove any baby courgettes that look damaged or that are too close to other more established ones.

4. Water carefully - in one of them I have an upside down plastic bottle cut in half, so I'm going to use that method with all of them now so no water goes in the leaves/fruit and goes straight in the soil to get to the roots.

Right, off to find them a home
14/06/2014 at 14:54

I agree with all of the above EXCEPT No. 3 - I would only remove those that have begun to rot.

You could be removing perfectly good courgettes which are trying to grow up to be a courgette and chocolate cake 

14/06/2014 at 15:03
LOL Dove, well courgette and chocolate cake sounds too good to miss out on so I'll leave them

Does anyone have the recipe for that?
14/06/2014 at 15:06
14/06/2014 at 15:09
Yum, thank you
KEF
14/06/2014 at 15:30

Thanks Bob    I just thought that the size of the plant pot and number OL was having rot and fact they were inside that removing a few little ones might give her a better mature few. 

Just shows you're never too old to learn  My three are out in the garden no flowers on male or obvious females yet, but healthy. I grow three to provide some to family.

OL I once made courgette loaf, if you see a recipe for that I'd consider giving it at miss  even with sheer determination to enjoy it I failed   Soz for any duff info.

14/06/2014 at 15:45

Here we go, courgettes in their new home with the spuds and GH looking a lot less cluttered 

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/49362.jpg?width=276&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/49363.jpg?width=276&height=350&mode=max

1 to 20 of 24 messages