London (change)
Today 16°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 11°C
3 messages
27/06/2012 at 15:45

Hi

I have two gloriosa lily tubers planted in a terracotta pot in the greenhouse. They started sprouting nicely but I've noticed that some of the leaves are turning brown very quickly. I had the same problem last year. According to the instructions I received when I bought them, they need to be in as sunny a spot as possible (which they are), and they should only be watered when the compost has dried out completely. However I have read now that they should be kept moist and fed weekly. Can anybody tell me where I'm going wrong please?

28/06/2012 at 12:34

Hi,

Not sure i can help exactly, but i keep mine in a conservatory with a pretty constant temp during the day, and then bit cooler at night - had lovely flowers last years, although this year it is a bit slower growing. i keep the soil just damp and feed every 2 weeks!

Based on the weather we've been having it may be that it's not liking any variations in temp - especially if your greenhouse is not heated!

I hope it picks up as the flowers are lovely!

29/06/2012 at 16:36

Oh thank you for that rhonsal. My greenhouse isn't heated, so maybe it could be temperature fluctuations like you say.  It did flower last year, despite having brown messy leaves. I might try bringing it into the conservatory, and see if that makes a difference. Cheers!

email image
3 messages