Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Portugal - plants to survive

Now here is a conundrum for everyone. My boss had asked me to post as she is desperate to put more flowers etc in her villa garden. She has a leaky hose system in place but the plants need to tolerate heat and drought conditions with a leaky hose.

she wondered about zinnia or dahlia! She visits every 9 weeks but over the hottest period she would be away for 3 months, but has got neighbours that would lightly water. 

at the moment she has fruit trees galore, but wants to expand into her beds and terrAcotta pots!  

So suggest away !!!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

My first thought is that varieties of Cistus should be ok and also that creeping Hottentot fig with the daisy-like flowers, and Californian poppies ought to be happy there.  

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Tropical SamTropical Sam Posts: 1,488

Where in Portugal? The Atlantic coast can get mist even in summer, lowering the temperature to jumper and jacket wearing territory till it lifts. It can also get close to freezing in winter in much of Portugal. She should see what thrives in local parks and gardens and use that.

Allium, Oleander, Wallflower etc should do fine.

Vines like Mandevilla, Bougainvillea should provide almost evergreen flowers.

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

I'd steer clear of dahlia's they need more water and feeding than a 3 monthly visit will allow.

See what the locals are growing for the best guide.

• Algarve so south!!! 

• I'd be interested to know if anyone has grown snowdrops or crocuses in North Portugal? We're 1,000 ft above sea level and get a bit of frost in Winter but sometimes in excess of 30 degrees during Summer.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Moisture is important for them ,so I  think if you could create a damp shady spot for them that doesn't dry out too much in summer, you might manage it. Light soil isn't ideal, so you may need to improve what you have if it's light and free draining. Wind isn't an issue for them though, or that height above sea level.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...