London (change)
Today 13°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 5°C
6 messages
24/05/2012 at 08:53

Is it better to move my lovely Acer to a suitably prepared planting hole now, or wait until the autumn? It's looking great at the moment, but I feel it will do better in the ground. I'm not going anywhere on holiday so am aable to keep on top of watering and feeding. I just want to give it a bit of 'legroom'.

24/05/2012 at 09:33
It's my understanding that you can plant out pot grown specimens just about any time when the weather and ground conditions are suitable. Acers don't like windy sites, and generally like a bit of shade from unremitting sunlight so it's also worth choosing its permanent site well. I'm sure there will be other responses!
24/05/2012 at 09:51

Figrat's right - you can plant a pot-grown specimen at any time. If yours is potbound, plant it out as soon as you can, but remember to water it as though it were still in a pot over summer, because the roots need time to spread enough to support the plant.

24/05/2012 at 10:11

Be careful where you put it. Acers are VERY fussy and can cess to thrive even if there moved 12 inches. I must admit I rarely repot them, my biggest specimen has been in it pot for about 6 years - the pot is 14inches high by 20inches wide.  When I find a spot that they like, I don't move them.

24/05/2012 at 10:17

Oh, and am sure I read somewhere that the best time you should move an acer is in autumn.

24/05/2012 at 10:27

thanks all. I have several of varying sizes, which are (nearly) all in the ground now. It's just, with this being the biggest, and my first one, I want to give it the best chance. It has the most glorious colours in autumn...and the blue tits & goldfinches love it. My 2 cats both pretend to be stuck up it as well, just so I can 'rescue' them...bit silly really as the bigger cat is so big all she has to do is drop her back legs and she's on the top of the pot! I might wait til the autumn, as the soil will still be warm then to let the roots start finding their way out before winter 'shutdown'.

email image
6 messages