London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 12°C
3 messages
16/01/2012 at 15:33

HI would like to know the best potatoes to plant this year, last year our potatoes fell apart when boiled but in middle was dry and flourie

Thanks Pauline

18/01/2012 at 16:50

Hello Pauline,

It sounds as though you need to grow salad potatoes. There are plenty of varieties and the following should be easy to find:

Charlotte,

Pink Fir Apple,

Cherie.

Hopefully these will give you a better texture in your meals!

Do let us know how you get on.

Emma.

gardenersworld.com team.

18/01/2012 at 20:01

Hello Pauline,

Many varieties of Potatoes and each with their own drawbacks and benefits.

For a number of years now I have been growing "Wilja" a good allrounder, boiled, mash, chips, roast and bake.

Buy some from your greengrocer at and try them out, if they suit you then you know what to grow this season.

I have also used them to make my own oven chips for the freezer. Cook the chips through without colouring them drain and cool on a wire mesh. Then quick freeze on a plastic tray for about an hour, they will then be hard enough on the outside to handle without sticking together. Label freezer bags and bag up the chips seal and store in the freezer. To reheat straight from the freezer, spread chips on a baking sheet and place in a pre heated oven gas mk 5/6 for 20/25 mins depending how thick you like them and brown you want them. I find this convenient if I need to get a quick hot meal on the table with a chop, pie, fish fingers or a couple of fried eggs,

Regards TJ.

email image
3 messages