London (change)
Today 25°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 17°C
8 messages
27/07/2012 at 17:19

I've grown potatoes in sacks for the first time this year and am wodering whether it is better to keep them in the sacks or dig them up and put them into storage sacks, On some of the ones I am digging up there are whats best described as warts, also growing on the branches what looks like green tomatoes or crab apples. Could someone tell me whate these three things are please.

Also are onins best left in ground or hung up when ready?

27/07/2012 at 17:31

Hi parry,

I'm no expert, but someone will be along to put you right, as it is my first attempt at growing this year, but will say don't eat those 'green tomatoes/crab apple' things. They are poisonous. I read that on here the other day.

Not sure about the warts though.

27/07/2012 at 17:36
27/07/2012 at 17:37
parry14 wrote (see)

I've grown potatoes in sacks for the first time this year and am wodering whether it is better to keep them in the sacks or dig them up and put them into storage sacks, On some of the ones I am digging up there are whats best described as warts, also growing on the branches what looks like green tomatoes or crab apples. Could someone tell me whate these three things are please.

Also are onins best left in ground or hung up when ready?

They are the fruits of the potato-highly poisonous do not be tempted to eat-they look like tomato as they are from the same family

27/07/2012 at 17:37

Potatoes and tomatoes come from the same group of plants, and the "tomatoes" that you see are the fruit of the potato. As already said, they are toxic, so don't eat them. You can remove them without doing the plant any harm if you have children to worry about.

27/07/2012 at 17:39

Snap, Geoff

27/07/2012 at 18:38

as an enthusiastic but rubbish gardener, can any one tell me if it's normal for my potato plants to be six feet high and also, when should i dig them up to harvest whatever they've produced. i should add that some of them are flowering now. i cant remember when i planted the seed potatoes but it was before this hot spell ... might have been a couple of months ago. this is my first post, so if i've put it in the wrong place, can someone tell me where it should go, and how to put it there. thanks. 

27/07/2012 at 19:21

Doesn't really matter- but you can always start a new discussion

As a general rule you can lift after flowering-but it depends on the variety and type-earlies, second earlies, maincrop.

Do you know the variety?

email image
8 messages