Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Potting shed burglary

Hi

I have woken up this morning to find my potting shed vandalised and items stolen - I have phoned my insurers who say only £250 is covered in my garden - I am so upset......all my perennial seedlings sown last week are all over the floor, they have stolen tools,compost,plants,radio and my gardeners world and amateur gardening magazines and worst of all my 'life in a cottage garden' book by Carol Klein - I used to read this when having a break from potting in my shed and was a great way to relax - how can they do this???? I thought burglars wanted tv's, game consoles,cash etc............image

• QueenTiQueenTi Posts: 18

Sadly I have heard this kind of thing from friends too often. One elderly man would have his pedigree chickens pinched from the shed. I gave him a rape alarm that you can get from community police where you can attach the main bit to your shed door frame and the bit you pull out, on a string, to a hook on the door. As long as you remember to rig it up every time you leave, it's a good shed alarm. Every time someone breaks in will then trigger the alarm. It helped the elderly gentleman, who had previously just relied on a padlock.

Nothing is sacred if it can be sold to someone. I suppose it's up to society as well to refuse to buy " hot gear", and places that buy and sell second hand goods do more thorough checks on the origin of the stock they are buying. The destruction of the rest of the shed's contents was pointless and the insurance companies just rub salt into the wound sometimes. I hope your neighbours help you our rebuilding you retreat and even tracking down, what usually is, the usual suspects.

• GlenGGlenG Posts: 8

Thank your local magistrates. This sort of thing thrives in areas where the courts are wooly minded (like my area!) and shoudl the offender get caught, believe any old guff the (paid for by the poor old taxpayers/victims) defendents solicitor tells them - so this sort of thing goes on and on and on sadly. There's no mentality to it I'm afraid and you can't apply logic at all - often they throw half the stuff away anyway. I used to deal with offenders in my work and even they can't give you a reason!

• meiowmeiow Posts: 51

Hi Lucy, I'm so sorry to hear of whats happened, I can only imagine how upset you feel. As for why people do it? I don't know. The only think I would suggest is keeping the shed locked up in the future, not much good after it's happened I know.

My young rabbit whom I loved was stolen out of his home last year and I was heart broken, so I can relate you to you,

Don't let them get you down.  M x

• martymowermartymower Posts: 113

hi lucy3 iam sorry to hear about this and feel so sad for you but as gardenders we tend to lose or gain things in life so chin up and if the insurers wont pay bbuurrr!!!! its so sad and a mested up life now we have to lock our sheds but so be it.Good luck

• Really sorry to hear about your break in, unfortunately there are so many mindless thugs around... Every car in my road got there car wing mirrors kicked off last night... 50+ cars! I hope you have lots of lovely friends around you to help... Installing a security camara might be a good idea, at least if it happens again the police can help catch the scumbags
  • MelenMelen Posts: 19

Hi Lucy, I'm so sorry to hear about your break in. It's so sad that people have no respect for others belongings and stuff these days. The allotments near us are always being vandalised and/or broken into. }image

Have you thought about an alarm (as others above have mentioned) or a security light pointed at it?

If I were you, I'd go and buy myself some more seeds and set about sowing again, the swines may have taken your possessions, but they can't take away your green fingers and your passion.

• meiowmeiow Posts: 51

I agree with H.R.G, get sowing again

• Lucy3Lucy3 Posts: 92
    Thankyou so much for all your comments and advice. We have had the shed licked but are going for an alarm today ....... And more seeds so that I can start sowing again this week ...... Fingers crossed they don't come back xxxx
  • ginagibbsginagibbs Posts: 756

So sorry to hear of your break in. i had a garden bench stolen once, it turned up in next door's garden as a prank!If your shed is on you property, try putting up beware of the dog signs, burgulars rarely break in to property with a dog around as they are too unpredictable!

• Lucy3Lucy3 Posts: 92
    That's crazy!! Anyway Padlock on and alarm fitted so feel a lot better now - enjoy your weekend xx