London (change)
Today 28°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 17°C
6 messages
02/07/2012 at 09:01

Hi, could anyone advise me please on what to do about powdery mildew on my courgette leaves. there are big white spots on some of them but a couple are covered all over the leaf. apart from that they look quite healthy and are starting to flower.I am growing them in large pots and feeding them with tomorite every two weeks.

02/07/2012 at 09:04

Mine usually get this eventually (although not yet this year). Once the plants are well established, it doesn't seem to do any harm. I just cut away the badly affected leaves and let the plant carry on. you could spray with some sort of fungicide if you feel the plant is vulnerable, but in my experience the courgettes are not afffected.

02/07/2012 at 09:32

I agree with Green Magpie, cut off badly affected leaves. It usually appears later in the season, but because of the amount of wet weather this year it's making an early entrance.

You could try this: Milk will control powdery mildew....dilute 1 part to 10 in water and spray infected plants.

It won't affect the crop. (the mildew of course)  

02/07/2012 at 09:56

Thanks very much for the  advice, will try the milk.

21/07/2012 at 14:06

I think it does affect the crop if you have to cut off many leaves.  The plant then struggles.  I too spray with a milk solution.  You have to spray almost daily, and try to spray underneath the leaves as well. I normally spray the healthy leaves and cut off the mildewed leaves.

15/08/2013 at 20:55

Thank you - I was concerned whether it was ok to still eat the fruits as they have been fantastic up to now.  I will try the milk spray.

email image
6 messages