London (change)
Today 18°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 19°C / 13°C
5 messages
04/07/2013 at 22:39

I'm new to veg growing as I've only had my allotment (organic site) for a year.  I pulled up my shallots and garlic today as the leaves were all yellow and dead, and discovered that they all had a powder on them and were damp looking, which I'm guessing is onion powdery mildew, but may be wrong.  I took them all off site to destroy.  Do I need to also pull up all the onions (Red Baron)  - nowhere near fully grown - growing adjacent to where the shallots were and destroy them, too, and what do I do about the carrots I planted beside the onions (to try to fool carrot fly)? 

All guidance appreciated : )

04/07/2013 at 23:18

I was going to say leave the disease free ones, then I read this from the RHS

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/AdviceSearch/profile.aspx?PID=743#section3  , which sounds pretty serious, but they don't really give the answer. Leave the carrots, not the same family.

05/07/2013 at 00:00

HI Busy-Lizzie

Thank you for the link.  No onion family planting for me for 5 years then! Fingers crossed carrot fly don't get the carrots : )

05/07/2013 at 10:20

Don't think it's as bad as that. Plant them in a different spot - crop rotation.

05/07/2013 at 22:34

I'll give it a go - maybe there was a problem with the same thing in that part of the plot before I got it last year as onions grew fine for me last year in their old spot : )

email image
5 messages