Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

PPP (Percy's problem page)

Nope it's not where you come to have your problems solved by Percy, it's where you come to solve Percy's problems, Would really appreciate id's for these two.. 

Sorry pictures not that great..

Thanks in advance for your help

• Percy-GrowerPercy-Grower Posts: 253

Another problem, what's the best way to stop the petals from getting into the little waterfall and eventually into the pond..

Best we can come up with is netting the bottom of the waterfall so as to catch the petals as they flow down...

Some advice needed with this problem...

Right in the corner where the hose for the pump comes out the pond it is pretty unsightly there is a plant just above that needs to come out, fortunately or unfortunately there's is a bees nest just below this plant, the entrance is between the light coloured rock and the exposed pond liner, we cant do anything until the bees move on, but want to take said plant out put trailing plant in and put pond plants in to cover liner and hose, question is can we safely use Glyphosate to remove plant and plant trailer in it's place, and if so any ideas for a trailing plant?

Thanks again in advance...

• hogweedhogweed Posts: 4,053

The first looks like a self seeded holly and the second one a hardy geranium. Macrorrhizum?

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • SweetPea93SweetPea93 Posts: 446

I wanted to say the first was a holly, but was maybe too obvious!

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

First one's just a holly I think Percy and the second is geranium 'Wargrave Pink' - grows like  a weed everywhere up here. Netting is probably the best method.

Wouldn't use weedkiller if it was me. Think you'll just have to bite the bullet and dig that out when the time comes. Might be a bit messy but it will settle down in time. In my last garden we had a large pond which was spring fed and there was a little waterfall where the supply came in. We had a cotoneaster and lots of ferns there. Is it dry in that spot or damp? You can get evergreen ferns which would do the job well. Some of the sedges would work too especially if you plant them on an angle.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...

Caltha palustris (marsh marigold) is another one that would fit in well Percy. Great pond/bog plant and pretty much evergreen image

Thanks for your replies guys, the first picture might be some sort of Holly but it's not self seeding, it was forgotten about in a pot in quiet corner, when i discovered it i planted it under a cherry tree it had no label, like so many things in my garden..Geranium will suffice it is growing at side of shed will keep an eye on it FG..

You should know better FG "is it dry or wet" it's always wet in this lovely country of ours image no seriously it's dry due to the slope and rocks n gravel, unless the waterfall springs a leak..image, we do love ferns, sedges i'll look into... FANKS 

Lots of ferns are happy in dry conditions too Percy so you can always just try a couple of different things and see what does best. image

I have a wee bog garden next to pond with marsh marigolds, iris's and houttuynia, suppose that would carry the theme..

Thanks, Hogweed FG & SP93 been most helpful, Sweetpea when it comes to me and plants nothing is to obvious as i haven't got the foggiest what some of the most common plants are, if i didn't buy or plant it then it's a mystery to me, can you believe i went to collage and did horticulture & agriculture, though in my defence it was over thirty years ago, and my life took me in a completely different direction, until two years ago i haven't really done any gardening...