London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 13°C
9 messages
04/03/2014 at 21:50

How do I get pretty soil? (added to the list of things I NEVER thought I would hear myself say!)

So the new borders have been created, rotted horse manure added, serious amounts of MPC added, and its been turned and turned again. Its quite heavy clay underneath, so ive dug down and mixed etc. My question is, how do I get that lovely tidy nice soil look? It still looks heavy, and... lumpy... Is this just because its still very wet and cold, or should I be out there sieving it daily with my Finest Ikea sieve lol?

04/03/2014 at 22:17

That lovely dark, crumbly, fine texture will only come with time, Loganberry.  Eventually, even the lumpiest clay will end up looking good.  If you top-dress with a couple of inches of MPC every spring (I use the cheapest available), you can cheat while the worms do the business for you beneath the surface.

04/03/2014 at 22:36
Will my seeds cope ok? Sowing lots of annuals soon...
04/03/2014 at 23:39

If sowing seeds, top-dress with the MPC and sow into that using the same depth as recommended on the seed packet.  Don't sow the seeds then top-dress as that will prevent them from germinating (top-dressing acts as a weed seed suppressant, so would also suppress your annual seeds.)

05/03/2014 at 16:38

Whats MPC ?

05/03/2014 at 16:39

multi purpose compost Andrew 

My new borders are the same Loganberry. Patience is what you need more than anything! 

05/03/2014 at 17:21

oh longanberry hut I know what you mean!

my mum laughs when I say im getting excited about getting up early and spreading muck on my garden.

"this from the girl who couldn't come over for sunday dinner because she'd been clubbing all night"

ha!

05/03/2014 at 18:31
Fairygirl wrote (see)

multi purpose compost Andrew 

My new borders are the same Loganberry. Patience is what you need more than anything! 

Of course

05/03/2014 at 20:58

I love this post, I aspire to having pretty soil too.  Unfortunately I seem to have lots of stones in mine.  Got so cross when our plumber dug up a flowerbed and chucked all the soil onto the gravel and then mixed the lot up and chucked it back on the flowerbed.  Grrr, have just chucked a load of MPC on it to cover it all up.  It looks pretty, well for this week it will anyway 

email image
9 messages