London (change)
Today 18°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 15°C
13 messages
17/05/2012 at 14:06

Hi,

I am new to the gardening world and I have recently managed to get myself an alotment. I want to grow a Privet Hegdge from cuttings is this possible and how do I do this.

Any help is much appreciated

17/05/2012 at 14:24

Privet is one of the easiest plants to propagate.

You simply need to take a cutting, about a foot long (or even longer), and stick it in the ground, and away it should go.

Obviously you need suitable weather, warm and showery, like now.

17/05/2012 at 14:30

Thanks so much Gary - do I need to use rooting powder?

17/05/2012 at 14:47

I have found that even the clippings from my privet start taking root if they fall into nearby pots when I've been cutting the hedge.  They are obviously keen to grow.

17/05/2012 at 14:50

Thats great thanks for your help. Do you know how far appart I should space the clippings?

17/05/2012 at 22:38

I have not grown a hedge from scratch, but I do think privet looks best when it is dense. I keep mine very closely clipped and it always looks good, so I expect that the cuttings should be planted quite close.

I do find that most bushes will propogate in this manner, as per Gary's advice. Just stick them in the ground and stand back!  Much of my garden has been filled in this way.

18/05/2012 at 05:22
NewGardner1 wrote (see)

do I need to use rooting powder? ....how far apart I should space the clippings?

Some people do use rooting powder, and perhaps it does assist rooting, though it's not essential.

The spacing should be around 9 inches to a foot (20cm to 30cm). But you could put in cuttings twice as close as that (4 inches apart), so that if some cuttings don't take, you'll still get a decent hedge.

Lilyanne wrote (see)

... I do think privet looks best when it is dense....

That's true.

You could plant two rows, 6 inches apart and with the plants staggered, so the pattern looks like a zig-zag. That would produce a thicker and denser hedge, but that would require more land area. Probably not what you'd want to do on an allotment, although you could if planting around a house.

05/08/2014 at 12:41

Please do remember that if you are going to plant a privet hedge - when it comes to trimming the hedge, you will have to trim the side of the hedge facing you, and the TOP of the hedge facing you, and your neighbours side of the hedge aswell. And as you get older, you will still have this endless responsibility. Very similar to owning a dog, that has to be fed, and walked twice a day, whatever the weather !!

Lyn
05/08/2014 at 13:02
I don't know about whatever the weather, you can choose a dry day!

I love privet hedge, I planted one in 2012, it's now about 5' tall, having been constantly picked out so it's as thick at the bottom as the top.

I love the smell of the flowers, takes me back to my childhood in London where everybody had privet.
05/08/2014 at 16:59

Oh yes Lyn I also,love the smell of the flowers on privet. Back then nearly everyone had a privet hedge didn't they. 

Lyn
05/08/2014 at 19:14
They did that RB , I couldnt wait to get my very own privet, I think its either love it or hate it.
05/08/2014 at 21:57
I planted a privit hedge last year, while it's grown to about 3 feet I want it to thicken out. How much would be recommended to trim it without losing too much height?
05/08/2014 at 22:08

If it's very thin, you could take about a third off the top.

Lyn, I took pieces off the privet hedge around my parents' home before they sold it, and planted them up for the flowers - I love them.

And yes, once everyone had a privet hedge, but trimming them became a chore, so they were grubbed out. Very sad to see.

email image
13 messages