Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Problem Clay soil

Hi

Can anybody help I have had my new home just under a year and this year is the year to tackle the garden. I started full of happiness till I stuck my folk in and heard the squelch of the soil. I then set about it with a spade and started to dig down and to my horror horrable water and clay soil. How can I set about starting to improve the soil and its structure or am I just wasteing my time with this and resign myself to having raised beds .

Regards Stephen (Tyne & Wear)

• I have a very similar problem, I have rocky clay soil and don't really want raised beds. I have found the best remedy is to plant something with large stringy root base like parsley or certain types of ornamental grass. let them grow for a season then dig them up if it's a larger plant or dig them in if it's grasses. I only disscovered this when I dug up my expired parsley plants to find beautifull soil this spring. I have also spent a fair sum of cash on composts and work it into my soil twice a year to improve the quality. Hope this helps.

• We're into our seventh year here on clay soil, and every year I just put more compost in, I concentrate on one bed a year, which explains why it's taken so long! You do see results eventually. If you can afford to, then bulk buy in a load and dig in.

• hkmincahkminca Posts: 7

Dig in plenty of sand and grit and if possible leave over winter for the soil to rest and the frost will get to work on breaking up the big chunks. At this time of year all you can do is dig several times and mix in lots of sand and grit. Don't leave it too long as once it dries out it will be rock ahrd and you won't be able to get a spade into it.

• i have been reading a few blogs and it appears that (like myself) people with new build homes have clay issues. this is due to the hardcore machines etc... 

i am about to tackle the issue and have been advise on all of the above, Plus add in drainage troffs where possible.

• EdentoyEdentoy Posts: 61

Nothing beats a good dig, hard work but well worth it,add plenty of well rotted horse manure and come autumn a good amount of rough sand.

• markbrydenmarkbryden Posts: 1

After 10 years I decided to dig out the clay from borders down to a good spade and a half and relace with good soil and compost bought in.  The work is hard but the difference is worth it IMO.

One border at a time.  

Before my soil would compact to rock hard even with treatment.  Now its always easy to plant and weed.  

Short term pain long term gain.

• but what do you do if you have established perrenials everywhere, making it very hard to get to the soil an dig it? would love nothing more than to turn my whole lot of clay soil over but don't fancy removing half the plants image 

is there a best season to do this anyway?

• PentilliePentillie Posts: 411
    Had similar trouble when I moved here 15 years ago. I solved the problem by, every year for about 5 years, buying 20 sacks of spent mushroom compost, costing on average ??2 a sack. This was laid as a mulch in the autumn and early spring, and gently forked in. With worms doing their bit the soil gradually lightened up,and now is in really good condition. I now add all old potting compost, and finished gro-bags as their relatively dry and powdery nature also help break up any clay still lurking. May not work everywhere but I'm happy with my soil now.
  • Tropical SamTropical Sam Posts: 1,488

The water means that the clay soil is compacted so you really do need to uncompact it before planting. Unless you are digging out the clay soil, you should never use a spade: always use a fork. Fork in bark and compost and leaf mulch and it will get better. I would not bother with sand as it adds nothing - try and keep off the soil when it is wet (yes I know that is not that possible but it does help)

• TherapymumTherapymum Posts: 8
    I agree with the digging, compost and sand/grit. The compost and sand helps to open up the tight clay grains. Drainage also helps, but is really hard work. The positive thing is that clay soil can be tremendously productive and is well worth the effort. Freshairfanatic, add loads of compost on the surface and fork in in the autumn/winter so that the frost can open the soil up.