8 messages
06/07/2014 at 11:19

Help please.We have a grass verge about 10ft wide and 60ft long running along the roadside of our garden.It's the other side of a leylandii hedge. We live among fields and the wind is very strong and cold most of the time. I would like to plant a wildflower 'meadow' out there but don't know how to start and if it would work.

06/07/2014 at 13:11

Hello susie61.

First of all, the verge is yours and not the council's? And if it is yours, the man from the council isn't going to come along and helpfully spray it with Roundup next summer is he? That happens to our bit of verge every year.

The best wildflower meadow of this type that I ever saw was in Chesterfield on a roundabout. The council dug up the grass that was there and sowed a mix of flower seeds. The place looked a shambles for several months then exploded into flower and looked fantastic for a few weeks. The flowers then died and the place looked a mess again. They never reseeded it and then they ran out of cash and it now looks like a bombsite.

06/07/2014 at 13:16

Thanks pansyface. The verge is definitely ours and the council don't do anything here. We are in the middle of the marsh just off the wash on the lincs/ norfolk border. The verge is a pain to cut every couple of weeks and I thought a 'wild flower meadow' would look lovely and mean cutting only two or three times a year. I was hoping for self seeders but don't know which would survive the cold winds here.

06/07/2014 at 15:17

I don't know what type of soil you have but if you go for a stroll and have a look at what you see growing in the area you might even be able to collect some seed heads there.

As tine goes on, the verge will settle into its own pattern of self seeding, each year being a little different according to the weather and which plants have more vigour than the others. 

06/07/2014 at 15:27

Very little grass is just grass. Most have a selection of wildflowers already there unless lawn weed killer has been used. I'd stop mowing for a few weeks and see what you've got. If you dig up and re-seed you'll allow loads of plants you haven't chosen  to get a hold. 

When you see what you've got you can add more. A good packet of yellow rattles spread around after the last mowing will reduce the grass and give the chosen plants more space. Dog daisies, musk mallow  and lesser knapweed are among the easiest to get established in grass.

An annual wildflower mix out there would be a lot more work than grass

06/07/2014 at 15:44

Thanks for your help.I thought it would it would look very pretty but as you say nutcutlet it would be hard work to keep up and I don't want it to look a mess like the roundabout pansyface mentioned. Maybe I'll just keep the grass or maybe pots would be the answer to brighten it up. Thanks again, appreciate the advice.

07/07/2014 at 11:37

I've just come back from watching the Tour de France in the Yorkshire dales and the verges there were very pretty with a lilac/blue geranium amongst the grass. Also my nose spotted some sweet Cecily growing too, it had been battered a bit by people admiring the yellow sheep, so it had released its fragrance.

07/07/2014 at 12:07

I haven't tried that one in grass Fleurisa. I'm always putting something more out in the meadow. I don't care what it is as long as it will grow in grass and please me and the insects. I'll scatter some seed out there when it's ripe.

email image
8 messages