London (change)
Today 20°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 14°C
6 messages
29/08/2013 at 20:29

I have been growing vegies on an allotment for 2 years. the plot historically is infested with carrot fly. My parsnips resemble carrots with carrotfly damage.

How can I deal with carrot fly? can carrotfly infest parsnips? If not carrotfly, what could cause parsnip problem?

29/08/2013 at 21:42

Hi Terry, yes carrot fly does indeed affect parsnips in exactly the same way - these two veg are closely related.  The most effective protection is to grow them under fleece.  Other possibilities are to surround them by a barrier at least 18 inches tall (carrot fly are believed to not fly above this height) or to grow a row of 'sacrificial' carrots and hope the fly prefers them to the parsnips.

30/08/2013 at 09:42

I think that if the parsnips are growing stubby and bent, then it's more likely the ground they're being grown in that's causing the problem. Is your soil stoney??

15/09/2013 at 13:14

My parsnips have a great size on them but when I lift them they are not really very good, in so much I have about 3inches of parsnip then about 12 little legs coming from the parsnip so therefore my parsnip is quite small , why is that ? 

15/09/2013 at 17:35

Lesley, sounds like they've forked. Either they've hit something hard in the soil or the soil had been over-fertilised.

I'm with Emma on the stubby, bent parsnips. There might well be carrot fly damage but the description also sounds like a soil problem could be involved.

15/09/2013 at 21:10

Or, did you sow the seed direct or try transplanting the seedlings? Damage the tiny tap root when they are moved and you get that problem.

Get a long metal rod, put it in your soil, to a depth of about 18 inches, Move it around in a circular motion making a cone shaped hole in the ground. Fill that with sifted soil and sow the parsnip on top.

email image
6 messages