Start a new thread

1 to 20 of 39 replies

ecokid

I have a very narrow strip boarder that runs adjacent to a fence. The  neighbouring property is rented and so the garden is pretty much only looked after once a year or so, and their borders have been left to run rampant with grass, which means I have a problem with grass growing under the fence and into my garden.

I spend a lot of time digging out the rhizomes and roots every 4 months or so. I'm hoping to get some plants in next year and would like to reduce the spread of grass from next door. I only really want to grow foxgloves and perhaps hesperis matronalis in this border as it's only exposed to partial-sun, but I'm worried about the impact of the grasses next door. 

Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

Hello ecokid

not a massive problem really 

I would dig a mini trench alongside the fence and slot in plastic sheeting...even old compost bags, black insides showing....about 30 cm or so deep.....and a few centimetres against the fence.

in spring use glyphosate to spray......sorry anti glyphosates .......any weeds that continue to grow.

Nothing to add to Verdun's advice but if you would like some Hesperis m. seeds, I'm pretty sure I have some remaining from this year

ecokid

Thanks Verdun + Philippa, I think that's probably the best option. It's a pity as I wanted to get the foxgloves in as soon as possible (I sowed them last summer and they could do with some space!) Also, thanks Philippa for the offer but have a dozen plants all ready to go. I'll try and get the ditch dug over Christmas as long as the rain holds off for long enough.  Do foxsgloves transplant well as I have a few already established which will need lifting while I dig the trench? 

LesleyK

Hi ecokid, I very often find self-seeded foxgloves in the garden and just dig them up and put them where I want them without any problems.

Advertisement

BobTheGardener
LesleyK wrote (see)

Hi ecokid, I very often find self-seeded foxgloves in the garden and just dig them up and put them where I want them without any problems.

Same here Lesley - transplanting foxgloves is no problem whatsoever.

Dovefromabove

Re the grass - I'd just get on my hands and knees once a month and remove it by hand-weeding.  I do this to all my flower beds around once a month .... think it's called gardening

Ecokid, no problem re your foxgloves...just pot them up into decent size pots ....sufficient to hold the rootball you extract....and grow them on until you have the bed ready.  I do this all the time.  

Good luck....it is the way to go 

Folks, you need to respect ecokid's request here.....he has made it clear he is spending a lot of time dealing with a lot of encroaching weeds from neighbour's fence and has asked for our help.  I have provided a solution.   For anti chemical lobbyists glyphosate would be a one off with a possible follow up treatment

hand weeding without any barrier from next door will be on ongoing and nigh well impossible chore 

Cant "mux"  up your s's and ph's Tetley...... 

Morning Jo.....but easier and more effective.  I wouldn't want to spend hours on my knees weeding and weeding and weeding.....when there is a one off solution.  I'm sure most everyone would do and have done the barrier and glyphosate method.  

Go with Jo and Dove on this one I have a long stretch too which gets I lots of next doors grass and weeds coming through but hands and knees on a regular basis , keeps us over sixtys fit and it is called gardening

Fair enough...if ecokid is over 60, has plenty of spare time and wants to exercise on his hands and knees for hours on end there is another way. 

Tetley 

Dovefromabove
Verdun wrote (see)

Fair enough...if ecokid is over 60, has plenty of spare time and wants to exercise on his hands and knees for hours on end there is another way.  

Tetley 

Perhaps it's just me .... but I enjoy it

Hazel --

I am with Verdun on this one, purely for the reason that my knees wouldn't " stand" the kneeling and getting up more than once lol! Have bad knees 

Advertisement

Hazel you are a gem.   And so wise.  So sensible.    (Almost mentioned bad knees in my post because I know many have this problem).  

Fairly sure a similar question will arise again ....it has been raised before a few times.....So the replies will be interesting.    Similarly,  weeds in lawns then will be dug out and weed and feed not used ???? 

Hazel --

Verdun...awwwwww- 

Serioisly though, I do agree with you that there will always be a difference of opinion on certain things, but we each have to go along with our own experience and knowledge and then, choice. Sometimes,we don't have a choice, we just have to do what we can given all our different lifestyles and limitations.

Our neighbours trees start growing through our fence some times, so we just cut them down, pull them up if we can, or as a last resort, use some sort of weedkiller. Sorry to those who don't agree but it is all we can do and are able to do.

Lecture over lol........

PS, Please don't be offended anyone....it's just me.... simple soul at heart.....

Between you and me Hazel it's just fun n games.  

Agree we all have different views, different ways of doing things.....

Hostafan1

I am not one of those whose first response is a chemical one, but in some situations ,a well timed dose of Gyphosate is often the best option. IMHO

pansyface

It's a well known fact that the barrier method is unreliable...