London (change)
Today 19°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 19°C / 13°C
7 messages
22/06/2013 at 21:22

Hello, I have a newish 7feet high wooden fence, the posts are over 8 feet in height. my neighbour-a property landlord- has allowed a tennat to plant an Ivy. I didn't know it was there untill it grew over the top of my lovely fence. I can't get rid of the dammn thing, What can I do to get rid of it and to let the Landlord know he has no right to damage my fence? I am really worried this will cost me a new fence again in the future? Thanks to anyone with help and advice-

22/06/2013 at 22:35

http://www.boundary-problems.co.uk is a pretty handy site (Guess who has had a similar issue before, in my case the neighbours building a barbecue against it and burning part of it down!)

I think you are probably within your rights to ask for it's removal, but have you checked it isn't on a trellis or anything that would protect your fence anyway?

22/06/2013 at 23:14

Thank you Sara but its not a boundary disput? I paid for the pence panels- I'd like to napam the thing, Ivy is hideous and invasive!

The house is empty now so I could go round and burn it with a flame thrower-lol. I dk who the Landlord is and the trouble with unknown tennants is they tend to treat rented property with dis -repect. 

22/06/2013 at 23:17

People treating your fencing badly with the potential to damage it is counted as a boundary dispute.  I doubt if the landlord would give tuppence if you removed it, but I think you'd have to ask. 

23/06/2013 at 13:33

It would legally be criminal damage to destroy it, however much you would like to. Approach the landlord in a friendly manner and ask him to remove it from your fence.

23/06/2013 at 13:36

Thanks for all your help. I will try to find out who the landlord is and get something done about it.

Thanks and Happy Gardening!

23/06/2013 at 14:06

Before you contact the landlord, I'd suggest you try to find out who's responsible for your garden boundaries, and also whether there's any restriction as to their height.  Sometimes the legal documents relating to house purchase can and do identify these things, but not always.  If you have a site plan, and there are sometimes little symbols which look a bit like a "T", and the owner of land on which the "T" is shown owns that boundary:-  i.e.
__________________T____________________ means that the owner of the land above the line "owns" the boundary.  If the "T" were upside down & below the line, the owner of that land would be responsible. 

It's unlikely that you'd "own" all the boundaries round your property, especially if it is one of a row of houses.  One side of the plot, and possibly the rear, are the most likely - but you really need to check and be armed with all the facts (relating to height as well) before you tackle your neighbour.  You'd almost certainly be within your rights, however, if you cut down anything which overhung your garden - but you're supposed to hand to the neighbour what it was that you removed!

email image
7 messages