London (change)
Today 18°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 19°C / 11°C
4 messages
30/04/2013 at 13:16

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/22877.jpg?width=495&height=350&mode=max

Hello everyone,

I bought some bamboo plants a month ago and it seems like they are not doing good (see photos). Can anybody tell me what may be wrong?  I water them 2-3 times a week, using regular compost and they are in a very sunny spot.

Thank you

Lana

30/04/2013 at 15:15

They do go yellow now in spring as they produce new growth and it has been windy. I would keep them well watered and fed.

30/04/2013 at 16:33

They are quite close together too and look a bit dry?  Bamboo likes water, and space, depending upon the type.  Indeed they are preparing to put out new leaves, give them time, they should recover. 

30/04/2013 at 16:36

The compost should contain adequate food for the time being. Poke a finger into the soil and check its not dry below a knuckle's depth - only water if it is. You shouldnt need to water more than every 4/5 days - just give plenty when you do so it penetrates to good depth before evaporating off. You can drown a young plant as easily as dehydrate it, as it doesnt have enough root to suck up the water, so go steady. Its probably just the sun/wind combo drying out the foliage faster than the young roots can replace the water. If you can, place something to shade them a bit and wait and see whether they regrow over the next month or so.

email image
4 messages