London (change)
Today 13°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 14°C
21 to 28 of 28 messages
18/06/2012 at 13:11

This is a box ball I grew from a tiny cutting:

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c186/DavidKnapper/BoxBall.jpg

19/06/2012 at 09:29

Ah David ....That is very true : ) and that is what I shall do - take cuttings and keep.

Thats good to know that they take root nice and easy and as I can see above good results occur, good work!

Is this the standards I've to meet or..... even beat

Cheers for now. (ps got some "Growmore"yesterday).

19/06/2012 at 09:53
David K wrote (see)

Paul - no need to ever buy box plants again, once you have a few. When you trim them, you can use the trimmings for cuttings....they take root really well.

Congratulations on growing such a magnificent box ball from a cutting.  Can you please indicate whether this is from one box cutting or did you plant a few small ones together in the pot and then shaped the ball as they grew and how long did it take for it to grow to the size of the one in your picture.  I too have grown some box plants from cuttings but they take quite a long time, a few years in fact to become large enough to shape into topiary.  Thanks.
19/06/2012 at 11:29

I've every confidence in you, Pauly!

Well done for getting Growmore (liquid I hope)....perhaps worth noting that box plants leaves will go a coppery brown if the plant is short of nutrients too (likely in your case, I feel) or if it is exposed to very cold winds, or prolonged frosty weather.

So it may not necessarily have been blight....always best to keep your options open.

19/06/2012 at 11:40

Hi, Sterelitza - Probably not what you want to hear, but that box-ball is probably 7 years old & from a single cutting.

Topiary from scratch is a waiting game.

19/06/2012 at 11:52

Thanks for explaining David K.  When you realize the patience gardners need to grow species plants like yours you can understand why the garden centres and florists charge so much for their fully grown topiary box plants. 

19/06/2012 at 11:54

Can I just add, that topiary trimming is one of the most therapeutic jobs I do in the garden?....Nice warm sunny day in early June, pair of topiary snips, snip, stand back, study the shape, snip some more. Magic!

I know I should get out more.

19/06/2012 at 12:00
sterelitza wrote (see)

Thanks for explaining David K.  When you realize the patience gardners need to grow species plants like yours you can understand why the garden centres and florists charge so much for their fully grown topiary box plants. 

Your welcome. 

I would say, that if you only want to make two or three topiary shapes, it makes sense to buy established plants from the nursery. If on the other hand you want to grow a long/ish hedge, it would be sensible to grow your own cuttings.

email image
21 to 28 of 28 messages