London (change)
Today 22°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 15°C
1 to 20 of 28 messages
16/06/2012 at 13:05
16/06/2012 at 18:47

If anyone has a small box hedge - could they just give me some tips for it please.

16/06/2012 at 21:33

The one with discoloured leaves is dying, I think, so pull it out.  Perhaps it did not get enough water at one stage?  Easy enough to take a few cuttings from your fattest plant to replace it.  Make sure (haha in this weather) your newly planted hedge is watered well.

17/06/2012 at 09:28

Could you say if there is anything specific you wish to know?

17/06/2012 at 09:40

Happymarion...I'm impressed by your CV, well done you1

17/06/2012 at 09:45

Whoops! The '1' should have been an exclamation mark.....another case when the 'edit button' would have helped, had it been working.

17/06/2012 at 11:18

Hi David, I suppose im just looking for some general information from others that have box. How do they care and maintain them? etc... Dont know if you have box, do you? I have some in pots that are doing great, noticing knew growth quiet the thing...
Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks again from a new, young, very keen gardner : )

17/06/2012 at 11:44

Hello, Pauly...I do have box hedges and a few topiary shapes in pots. I'm just having a little problem with what you have or intend.

Am I right in thinking you just have pots of box at the moment and intend to use them at a later stage to make a hedge or as potted topiary shapes?

At the mo, I will say that the new growth you speak of should be trimmed back if necessary now while it's still soft, not later in the year. There is an old gardener's saying that says 'trim your box on Derby Day' i.e. the first week in June.

Feeding while still in the pots, I would suggest a fortnightly feed of liquid Growmore during the summer.

There are pest and disease problems, but no need to trouble you with these unless you have an issue with them.

Hope that helps!   

17/06/2012 at 12:00

Thats great!!! Thanks David. Well yes I do have some plants in pots which I will shape (HOPEFULLY) these have been trimmed as required. But I also have some in the ground which intend to make up a small hedge feature against the lawn. There is six plants in total here, in a space of about three feet. Five of these are growing just great, but one isnt looking too good. Now I bought these box plants from b&q there were about 10 in the pack haha! The one that currently isnt looking good has replaced one that wasnt good - in the same spot!?!

Ok, took note of that about the feeding - think i might start a regular feeding plan for them, every two weeks then.

Thanks for your help. finger x'd we get there!
Cheers, Paul

17/06/2012 at 12:01

Hi again, Pauly

For some reason your opening post didn't appear at the top of this page, but I've just seen it on the 'problem page'.

However, I now understand you have planted a small box hedge and the leaves on one plant have turned 'copper brown'. Now this could posibly  be 'box blight' and in the interest of preserving the rest, should be dug up & burned.

Google 'box blight' and see if the pictures compare.

17/06/2012 at 12:04

Our messages crossed, but I hope you understood the gist of what I was saying.

17/06/2012 at 12:04

aaaaaaaaaah Does not sound good... ooooh! ok - I shall do that right now, and possibly get it dug out straight away!
THANKS!

17/06/2012 at 12:10
Pauly D wrote (see)

aaaaaaaaaah Does not sound good... ooooh! ok - I shall do that right now, and possibly get it dug out straight away!
THANKS!

Don't worry, it's probably no more than a duff plant at this early stage & easily rectified...much more of a problem if it had been part of an established hedge.

17/06/2012 at 12:11

I think you have hut it on the nail! By the look of those images I would say it is blight indeed... Thanks for your efforts.

By chance do you know anythng about Rhododendron's? I have started a new thread on that haha : )

17/06/2012 at 12:35
Pauly D wrote (see)

By chance do you know anythng about Rhododendron's? I have started a new thread on that haha : )

After the years I've spent gardening, there are very few mysteries left.

I'll take a look at your rhodo thread.

18/06/2012 at 10:11

My attempt to shape a topairy rabbit, free hand, given a short back & sides yesterday:

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c186/DavidKnapper/P6040004.jpg

18/06/2012 at 10:35

Nice  GOOD WORK!!!  There should be a 'like' button... I have and egg basket shaped as a hen that the misses was given as a pressie - but now it has ended up in the garden  - button of it cut out - in a put - with a box plant currently growing in it... Its had a few cuts and point in the right direction- but needing it to fill out some what..... I have a feeling that this is going to be a few years project, ha!  Not to worry.

Here below; Is the newly planted box hedge (08/03/12). Plant on the far left (as you look at it) was the one that was given me problems..... No longer with us.

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/8941.jpg?width=292&height=350&mode=max

18/06/2012 at 10:45

Well done, Paul! Remember 'from little acorns, giant oaks grow'. 

18/06/2012 at 11:52

Thanks very much David! Yes, so ture, good little saying indeed....It's getting there now, new growth as occured of course so starting filling out and merge together : ). I judt love box. Don't know what it is, really - maybe its just what you can do with them - different shapes, such as yourself shaping a rabbit etc... If you were to buy that at a a garden centre it would be very pricey.. I would have to speak to the bank manager for a loan to buy one

ps> Sorry I did notice you had posted on my Rhodo thread and thanks for that. noted! I shall get a ph testing kit next time i am at the garden centre.... Suppose no need to panic at this stage - but will prepare for next season! Finger's crossed.

Cheers

18/06/2012 at 12:01

Paul - no need to ever buy box plants again, once you have a few. When you trim them, you can use the trimmings for cuttings....they take root really well.

1 to 20 of 28 messages