Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Protecting a planter over winter

I got a planter earlier this year and grew some tomatoes, which are now all cut down.

Within a couple of days of cutting the old vines down, cats have started jumping into it and messing. The light, fluffy soil doesn't help.

I intend to pull up the dead tomato roots in a few weeks (once they start to decompose) so that the planter is ready for next spring, but are there any tips on how I should protect the planter over the winter? I could cover it, but I'm not sure if that will create a good breeding ground for bacteria or fungus over the winter that could ruin the soil come next spring?

I also thought about laying sticks across the planter, but I think the cats will simply stand on the stick and drop their mess between them!

What do other people do with large planters full of soil over winter?

• I think you could stab sticks firmly into the soil to discourage them squatting in there.

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

We find kebab sticks put the neighbours cats off.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

I've got a roll of chicken wire cut into sections - I use these to put over the raised beds when they're empty and after I've sown seeds in there to keep the neighbour's cat off.

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Dave TDave T Posts: 6

I had the same problem I think as i noticed something had disturbed the soil.  I put some green manure seeds all over and it's grown quite quickly to cover the whole bed. Apparently when your ready to use the bed again, you just dig in and turn over what's grown and it will be really good for the soil.  I grew potatoes in mine this year and it's the first time I ever done any gardening or growing of veg. But the coverage is supposed to protect the soil and I don't get the problem with cats jumping in the raised bed anymore. 

• Dave TDave T Posts: 6

Hello, hope you are well, I had the same problem I think as i noticed something had disturbed the soil.  I put some green manure seeds all over and it's grown quite quickly to cover the whole bed. Apparently when your ready to use the bed again, you just dig in and turn over what's grown and it will be really good for the soil.  I grew potatoes in mine this year and it's the first time I ever done any gardening or growing of veg. But the coverage is supposed to protect the soil and I don't get the problem with cats jumping in the raised bed anymore.

Regards

Dave

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Wire mesh or anything similar, as Dove says, is ideal for planters or containers. I use fruit netting - the small gauge stuff. It also helps deter squirrels if you have any planters with small bulbs in them - they can't get in to dig them out, and the plants grow through and are nicely supported  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Mrs GMrs G Posts: 336

I have had the same problem and found they just pooed through the mesh or found a space amongst the sticks.  I like the green manure idea because it means you're making good use of the planter over winter and it will stop nutrients being washed out and add them back in ready for re-planting.  Citrus peeling are meant to be good too I hear.

• Alan4711Alan4711 Posts: 1,657

Hi Tomsk, we dont get cat probs like we used to have in Wales,it seems the owners around here are are much more closer to there cats and the cats are much cheekier they just come straight up to you and round your leg for a stroke, its a very calming thing when it happens ,they then often follow me around the garden then when there bored off they go, when we came here we decided to try the friendly way of getting on with them and it seems to work,the idea was Cats dont do it on there own doorstep so obviously that shows i know nothing about cats but its worked, only once did the big tabby try the big pot so i sprayed (ready to use Jeyes fluid ) around the all the  pots (On The Ground) ,No harm to the cats but it works they dont like the smell non of our pots have been touched even when Kate puts new stuff in and out ,so no harm to anything and cats still on our side, so thats what works for us,Very Dog and Cat friendly in Norfolk. good luck