London (change)
Today 23°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 14°C
11 messages
13/05/2012 at 17:30

I've been treating my pots with vine weevil killer and I stupidly drenched one pot which was stood on the paving by the pond and inevitabley the mixture came through the drainage holes and into the pond. As soon as I realised what I'd done I moved the pot pushed as much of the mixture as I could away from the pond but some did go in there. I still can't believe I was so stupid!!!!!!

Is there anything we can do? Will the outcome be as bleak as I imagine? The pond and fish are my husbands pride and joy and I'm afraid my gardening days could well be over before they've properly started if anything happens to his beloved fish.

Any advice would be gratefully received

Anna 

13/05/2012 at 18:17

all I know is that the nematodes are temperature sensitive, so the water will undoubtedly be cooler than the air and its not that warm! Also, they are ineffective against humans and I would imagine, other creatures although I don't know if fish is one of these. Perhaps google as much as you can about the active ingredients in regards to the safety of your fish. Good luck

13/05/2012 at 18:21

Oh, dear! Well, all insecticides are dangerous to fish, but it is a matter of degree; I think it's unlikely that a drop or two will do much harm when it's spread over a large pond (I hope it is large?)  The only thing that you could do to help matters is dilute its effects by adding clean water to the pond, but I don't know how practical that would be.

Good luck!

13/05/2012 at 18:53

Thank you both for your advice.

As soon as we saw the mixture had gone into the pond, which in all honesty didn't look that much, we poured clean water onto it and swished it around to disperse it because we thought the same as you Alina that it would possibly lessen the effect of any adverse effects if spread over the whole pond. I think my other half was trying to make me feel better by saying not much had gone in in relation to the size of the pond. I'm still pretty angry with my self for doing such a stupid, stupid thing but one thing is for sure....I'll be keeping a close eye on the pond and if I see any fish floating on the top I'm leaving home  in the meantime I'm going on a googling quest! 

13/05/2012 at 19:59

Hi. I think you actually need to do a series of partial water changes over the next few days to remove polluted water rather than just dilute it. And, at the same time, add one of the tapwater treatments that are normally added to a pond whenever tapwater's added  - the treatment protects fishes' gills and builds up their slime coating, both of which would help them cope with this situation.

I had a similar accident some time ago and have put in a deep gravell border round my pond to absorb any future spills. Bets of luck to you & your fish.

13/05/2012 at 23:56

Pravado is also dangerous to bees.  Should anybody be using it?

Wintersong, how did nematodes get into your answer?

15/05/2012 at 19:15

Thank you ColinThe Comet

We have done a partial water change. I never thought I'd hear myself say this but I hope this rain continues so it will fill the water butts to enable us to do another one at the wekend. 

In the worst case senario does anyone have any idea how long it will take the insectiside to have an effect on the fish? I'm not sure how long I can cope with the anxiety I feel looking out of the window each morning 

15/05/2012 at 19:34
Welshonion wrote (see)

Wintersong, how did nematodes get into your answer?

Silly me assumed that was the active ingredient that killed the VW lavae.

I check my containers by hand I'm afraid and anything that dies in my garden due to this nuisance, is not worthy and wont get planted again!

It makes me angry to lose beloved plants by any means or waste money on replacements but I'd be more angry with myself for using chemicals that could potentially harm good wildlife 

15/05/2012 at 19:52

Oh I just did my homework, nematodes are used in the non-chemical version of pest control during the warmer months. That's what I will be using this year, last year I didn't know it was available

You see, naively, I assume all pest control is non-chemical

16/05/2012 at 16:49

Hi Tattianna. Fish gills can be burned by chemicals, which is less obvious than some other damage so ideally repeat gradual water changes and try to increase the water oxygen. If you have an airator &/or fountain, turn it on/up. Definitely consider buying and adding a 'tap safe' water treatment, eg by TetraPond, as that helps sick fish. NB, even in drought conditions most water companies will permit you to use a hose to top up a pond containing fish - and tap water WITH the water conditioner is considered by many to be better than always using butt water. as it's fresher

16/05/2012 at 19:18

Thank you  again ColinTheComet 

Fortunately here in the NW we're not affected by the hosepipe ban we just thought it was best to use the water from the water butt rather than the tap. We'll do as you suggest at the weekend despite being on a water meter!!!! The airator is on and we'll get the tapsafe you mention too. 

I realise it's a case of wait and see but my nerves are shot each morning when I open the kitchen blinds. My OH did tell me today to stop worriying about it, he's sure the fish will be fine. I wish I had his enthusiasm! Well one thing is for sure I've learned a lesson and I'll be more careful next time or better still leave the vine weevil to reap havock 

Anyway thank you again for you hepl and advice it's greatly appreciated

Cheers Anna

email image
11 messages