Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Pruning a 25 year old Jasmine officinale severely

My 25 year old jasmine officinale grows against a wall (part of a garage) which my neighbour is knocking down and replacing with a garden studio made of wood.  Whilst the new building is being erected I would like the jasmine to survive.  How severely can I prune it before the wall is knocked down and is there anything I should be aware of when pruning it.  

Once the new structure is up what structure do you recommend that I should use against the  new garden studio so that it does not damage the new wall.  With many thanks

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Totally agree with Verdun image

If your neighbour doesn't want you to put screw in eyes and wires on the new wall, then I'd put up a couple of posts and a trellis panel a few inches your side of the boundary, a bit like this 

but maybe not as big image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• You too crack me up image

• You are quick and very helpful. Could I prune it back to as much as two feet from the ground.

On the existing wall I used galvanised wires and screws which worked extremely well.  Now that the replacement wall is wood the neighbour may not be keen on that approach so the trellis option looks the best best.  Are there any particular suppliers for  trellis that you would recommend.  

With many thanksimage

• Dear Verdun,

Many thanks for your input and I will check out b&q when the time comes.

This is the first time I have used the gardeners world forum and I found it a very positive experience and enjoyed the humour.  Thank you to all those who input.