London (change)
Today 17°C / 6°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 4°C
6 messages
29/09/2012 at 13:28

Hopefully you can access my photo of a hebe "Mrs Winder".  It has grown much larger than I want.  Firstly are hebes like lavender ie I should not cut into old wood.  Secondly if is not can I just use a pair of shears.  Over the last two years I would not say I have had a 'profusion' of flowers.  Any help much appreciated.

http://s1090.photobucket.com/albums/i379/bobloes/?action=view&current=DSCF2836.jpg

29/09/2012 at 14:14
Mrs winder can be pruned. Not now. Spring. Some hebes, some clones of the same variety, can respond well to pruning hard but others sulk and take bit longer. You could lightly use shears but secateura are best but make sure you don't cut too far into old wood. Christopher Lloyd once spoke of cutting this hebe....one thrived the other died. Me? I would lightly shear in spring but take cuttings now. Good 3" to 4", edge of pot, added perlite, cover with polythene and Into warm greenhouse/window sill. These "small" hebes are best pruned each year when young, I think. Or, if you are in colder area.take cuttings in spring before you shear it.
30/09/2012 at 11:06

Thanks Christopher.  That sounds better than my slash and burn approach.  I am in Weymouth so winters are not particularly hard.  This plant is only about two years old so, assuming it survives my next ministrations, I will be more attentive in the future.  Thanks again.

30/09/2012 at 11:15
Bobloes, just a 2 year old plant. You should be able to cut that back quite easily. Always to buds, if you can..I try to cut to pairs of buds so that new growth doubles in density.....??
30/09/2012 at 11:24

Agree totally with advice given. Leave any pruning until at least late April/May depending on whereabouts in UK you are. Definitely take cuttings. They usually 'take' really easily.

If it's only a 2yrs old plant & you're already finding it too big, is it a case of 'right plant, wrong place'? Possibly consider moving it, or re-siting once the cuttings have taken? J.

30/09/2012 at 21:59

Roger to both.  Wilco.  Out.  Cheers

email image
6 messages