Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Pruning a young outdoor ginkgo tree into bonsia

I have two ~ 5y/o ginkgoes that I re-planted last year after a landscape guy dug up to relocate, left in a clump with some hollies, and never returned. I couldn't bare to let them just die so I planted last spring on a bank that gets 8 hours full sun. They are badly damaged and mis-sharpened. Right now, I am just trying to allow them to grow new leaders since both were broken out. -I just added a small (5') 2 year old tree. They are staggered in a v pattern on the bank (~30 degree angled bank). Would it be possible to bonsai the trees? Thank you!!!

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Not strictly bonsai with their roots in the ground but I saw one pruned as a shrub in a garden I visited and I'm trying to do that to mine. It was given to me years ago, already hacked about so no future as a tree. It's not very wonderful to look at so far. image

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Thanks nutcutlet. I'll give it a try. Who knows...  maybe our experiments will turn into great works of art. :)

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445
    BeatrixKiddo says:

Thanks nutcutlet. I'll give it a try. Who knows...  maybe our experiments will turn into great works of art. :)

See original post

Maybe they will BK. image

In the sticks near Peterborough