London (change)
Today 28°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 18°C
6 messages
08/04/2013 at 16:36

i need help quickly. i have a conifer hedge that is now 30 foot tall, (about 20 years old) and needing to be cut by at least a third. will this kill the trees?????

08/04/2013 at 16:47

no jac it wont kill them take what you want off the top and just trim all the sides so they wont go brown good luck hope you have a high ladder.

08/04/2013 at 18:34
What conifers are they? Leylandii? If so agree with chica
Chica you look very young there in your picture.
08/04/2013 at 19:14

nothing kills conifers in my experience!lop as much as you can off the top first then the sides.but make sure you put long sleeves on,i did mine a few years ago and had an itchy rash!nice smell tho.

08/04/2013 at 22:57

thank u vedun its surprising what home grown veg can do 

09/04/2013 at 00:54

These are probably Lleylandii.  They are best removed.  Get someone with a stump grinder to get rid of the roots, and replant a mixed hedge that will supply your local wildlife with a habitat.   I allowed ONE of these trees to grow too big, and this spring, the branches began to snap and cause a danger.  The tree has now been demolished, but the trunk has been left to about five feet, so that a bird table - platform , can be positioned on the remaining stump, to enable a feeding/watering platform for birds.  In my experience, these trees do NOT rejuvinate, and look ugly and brown when chopped hard!  Cut into the dead wood - and they`ve had it !

email image
6 messages