Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Pruning Sambucus in Autumn

I've had to repot my sambucus as the pot it was in was broken by workmen and in doing so , I noticed some stems had also been damaged due to the accident. image

It now looks rather lob-sided so I was wondering if I could give it a small prune now just to even it out or would I be better leaving it until Spring which is when it really should be pruned ?

Thanks in advance, image

Jean

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I have the one with the black leaves, it gets pruned when I get round to it and hasn't complained yet. It's in the garden not in a pot. Don't know if that would make a difference.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Susy BSusy B Posts: 29

I would leave it until spring, then prune as normal which should sort it out.   image

• Jean GenieJean Genie Posts: 1,724

Ok , thanks Nut and Susy. imageThink I'll leave it until Spring. Guess I can live with it being lob-sided.This one is black lace , looks a little like an acer. I bought another last Spring - black beauty. I'm quite taken with them. 

Love to have them in our garden but I haven't got the room image so that's why they are in pots - I can restrict the size image

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,032

I have a Sambucus Black Lace. I normally prune it quite hard in March and it grows like mad as soon as the weather warms up. But one year I pruned it in autumn and it didn't seem to make any difference. The only year it didn't grow well was last year when we had a drought in spring and early summer (in Dordogne) and I forgot to water it (but we did have water restrictions).

This subject was discussed in a previous forum http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/problem-solving/sambucus-black-lace-cutting-back-confusing-advice/1875.html 

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.