London (change)
Today 22°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 17°C / 13°C
4 messages
02/08/2012 at 19:09

Hi,

I'd really appreciate some advice about why the leaves on my flowering cherry are dropping, going brown and dying off in August.

It's just over a year old. No sign of insects, though I did kill an ant infestation about 2 months ago (with B&Q general bug killer spray).

Soil has been kept watered but the tree looks like it isn't getting enough water (leaves drooping, then drying out and going brown).

I live in Manchester where it's been very wet but soil has not been water logged. We had a week of hot weater and the problem started around that time, but I wouldn't have thought it hot enough to scorch the tree.

Advice much appreciated. Many thanks

02/08/2012 at 19:13

The weather might not have been hot enough to scorch the leaves in a normal year, but as it's been so cool and damp with low light levels,  the leaves havaen't had a chance to harden off - it might well be scorch.  

Is it all the leaves all over the tree, or just the youngest ones on the tips of the branches?

02/08/2012 at 19:25

It's all the leaves, not many have gone brown yet but it just looks like a matter of time - all of them are dried out and drooping. Branches still look green and light brown.

What do I do with scorching? D'you think it'll come back next year.

Thanks so much

02/08/2012 at 21:38

I had just such a problem the other year.  I put it down to low light levels and a general malaise of poor seasonal weather.  A lot of rain promoted lush, weak growth, although the soil was far from waterlogged.

Advice that I was given was to give it a bit of a feed and see how it responded.  It didn't.  That is why it is, sadly, so more.

I don't know if my diagnosis was correct, or if the advice that I was given was poor.  But sometimes a plant reaches a point beyond which it cannot be saved.  I hope this is not the case with your tree - but I would be prepared for the worst, and pleased if next year it manages to perk up. (or, hopefully, there may be better advice from more knowledgeable posters here.)

email image
4 messages