Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Puning roots

Last week I extended a flower bed by cutting a large semi circle into the lawn. After removing turf I dug away the tangled mess of grass roots and then started work on the soil.  When I came across the long thin roots from the beech hedge I pulled them up and cut them with the secateurs.  I got carried away with enthusiasm for the project and I am now worried! It wouldn't have mattered in winter but it was a daft thing to do when the old brown leaves are falling and the new buds swelling. I know time will tell if I have done damage but any one else have thoughts about it ?

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,066

Root pruning is a tested method of controlling the vigour of plants but, as you say, spring may not be the best time to put your plants under the stress of growing new roots whilsts trying to grow new leaves and new stems.  

I suggest you make sure the roots of the beech hedge have plenty of moisture to make life easier while they recover and regrow so keep them watered between rainy spells so they don't stress too much.  Scatter some pelleted chicken manure or blood, fish and bone along the hedge to provide nutrients.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

As long as you haven't cut the main stem it should recover. Keep it well watered for a while to help it recover.

• Thank you so much Dave and obeli.  I will attend to that right now.