Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

pyracantha fireblight victim

Hi everyone, good to be on again!

I have a 3 year old pyracntha hedge growing up a 6' fence.

All went well (vigorous grower) hedge shot upto tha top of the fence, with squillions of flowers on last spring.......Then disaster!!

Fireblight struck with a vengance, all my flowers turned black and crumpled when handled

I made the decision straight away to cut off all the diseased blossom. ( I did not know of this fireblight  disease, until I returned to the garden centre and spoke with the head lady gardener, who confirmed it was fireblight and suggested i spray with a bayer fungus solution, which I did as sonn as I got home).

No use whatsoever, within days the hedges started to turn Black, i was devastated!!

After a mega job cutting out all the stems that showed signs of infection, and another good spraying, I left them to over winter which they have.

I think the plants were Mojave????

Now i have new growth showing, Question! should I commence spraying as of now.

Also, since my disaster, I have found out that you can obtain pyracantha that is resistant to this wicked fireblight.

I was wondering about buying some of these disease resistant plants and planting them in front of the old hedge, which is looking quite sparse after its severe pruning..

What do you guys think??? I really am loath to dig them all up and start again.

I am a bit miffed that the garden centre garden staff didn't alert me to the disease free stock

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Agree Verdun. Never plant anything susceptible to the same disease where something has died.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Only a limited number, bound to hit the right one eventually. had the wine now, very nice.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • The nursery that i bought my pyracantha from is called strikes, not sure if they are a group or not.

But yes! i will consider asking for a hefty discount for any new plants i purchase to replace the diseased pyracantha.

DOH!! The gaulling thing is, just  500 yds away another resident has a real thick pyracantha hedge still displaying most of its heavy crop of appealing red berries.

some article i read hinted that you should NOT plant pyracntha near fruit trees??

If this is the case, i do have a 3 year old pear tree close by.

With ref to the yellow privett, it seems to me to be a good bomb proof solution.

It's just my misses loves the look of the pyracantha.

• sounds like the pear is coming up...lol!

• pinkpeonypinkpeony Posts: 107

I have pyracantha growing beneath the bays at the front of my house - they were planted  many years ago and until 2016* were trimmed with shears and secateurs     they now show signs of fireblight - I've been cutting out the black shoots but i'm keen to know more about the fungus spray could you give me  more details

*since 2016 I've had to employ help in the garden and hedge trimmers have been used - I wonder if this has contributed to the problem?

any advice/comment would be appreciated

thank you

• K67K67 Posts: 2,506
    @pinkpeony your be better to start your own discussion as this one is from 7 years ago 😮
  • pinkpeonypinkpeony Posts: 107
    k67 - you're right but wanted to follow up on the fungus spray; posted again in new discussion. thanks for the advice  out of practice having not posted for a long while