London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 12°C
9 messages
30/06/2013 at 20:25

Hi there, can anone offer any advice on how to get my pyracantha to flower? It's 3 years old and significant growth but no flowers ...?

30/06/2013 at 20:39

Hello athers100

Did you prune,your plant last summer?  If so you removed the flowering wood

Lush growth suggests good living.  You could apply potash feeds but I would leave it now to fend for itself.  It should flower next year

30/06/2013 at 20:44

Hi Verdun, no  -  haven't pruned it at all.  I'll give it another year and if no joy it will have to go.  Thanks for advice.

30/06/2013 at 20:54

it does take a time before you get a good show,do not prune to hard(I did that one year and it was poor the year after)I wait until berries are over.I have two that are now in flower and give good protection as burglary deterrent.

30/06/2013 at 23:44

this is the 3rd year I have had a pyracanta, and this is the first year it has flowered.

i have never pruned it, it is situated in a shady area, beneath a large magnolia, but i gave it a good mulch with manure in spring,

01/07/2013 at 21:07

Thanks for your advice, will try the mulching and not prune  - maybe a better year in 2014.

KEF
01/07/2013 at 21:15

Mine have been in years, they are just late flowering this year.

16/06/2014 at 20:24

Hello all.

This is my first posting.

I'm planting out a very small garden (25 sq M) here in Kraków, South Poland. It has a southern aspect with no shade. I have planted a Pyracantha hedge of 3 orange and 7 red berried plants. The latter were 1.5 m high and the former more compact ones about 60 cm high. They were planted in early November 2013 and the winter was quite short with less snow than usual.

The reds had dark bronze leaves and no berries and the others had good green leaves and a few berries.

This spring the bronze leaved ones greened up with a few losses but they failed to flower. The others have flowered well and the new berries are abundant.

The local soil is clay with limestone inclusions capped with a little sand.

My questions are:-

1) Is it worth keeping the reds? Because they appear to be less hardy here than the orange ones.

2) Should I intersperse them with hawthorn which is hardy enough here? These might provide a little protection.

3) Should I replace the reds with the hardier orange variety?

Any other observations are welcome of course.

Dave J

16/06/2014 at 21:01

Hello Dave,

I planted both red and orange and the red only produced a few berries when it was young.  The orange has now taken over and is mixed with holly and yew as a mixed hedge.  It depends if you want the red berries whether you keep it or not - I just left mine in the ground for the leaves. 

email image
9 messages