London (change)
Today 12°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 6°C
4 messages
29/09/2012 at 10:43

my sevenyeaar old hedge flowered well in spring,but has not produced any winter bery can anyone tell me why??

29/09/2012 at 10:54

The only reason I can think of is the weather we've had. It has upset a lot of plants this year. There have been quite a few threads about different plants/trees not fruiting this year - such a shame.Next year ....hopefully!

30/09/2012 at 07:15

I can only assume thatbecause of the atrocious weather earlier in the year there were not enough insects around to pollinate the blooms - this is very sad as birds rely so much on pyracantha berries for winter food - the other year neighbouring pyracantha hedges were host for a week or so to a flock of visiting waxwings from the continent - a wonderful sight.  

I hope that people realise how much blackbirds and thrushes rely on the berries from our garden shrubs and put out plenty of fruit-based feed for them this winter - scattering raisins and currants on the ground will keep many of them alive this year.

02/10/2012 at 16:43

Thanks for the response i had kind of guessed that would be the reason have to put plenty of tit bits out instead!!

email image
4 messages