London (change)
Today 11°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 9°C
20 messages
24/03/2014 at 09:33

Is there any benefit to 'staggering' the opening windows or having them opposite each other?  ie on a GH with 4 glazed panels having both openers for example on panel 3 or is it better to have one opener on panel 2 and one on panel 3 on the other side, or does it make no difference at all?? 

I hope that makes sense, hard to describe without pictures!! Just to add too that I have opening vents at the back.

Thanks.

KEF
24/03/2014 at 09:37

I'd stagger them. Based on GH's I've seen. Better airflow me thinks.

24/03/2014 at 09:46

Thanks KEF, that's what I wondered but wasn't sure 

Edd
24/03/2014 at 09:56

Tracey can you fit the openers into the roof panels. Are they movable and will they fit the same??? I prefer my openers in the roof. Just a thought.

Lyn
24/03/2014 at 10:35

I prefer openers in the roof too. Heat rises, windows on the sides could cause draughts.

24/03/2014 at 10:37

I agree with both of the above. My understanding of physics, suggests that, windows in the roof, and, on opposite sides, would encourage better airflow

24/03/2014 at 11:24

Sorry, they are in the roof, I didn't make that clear.  Automatic openers but I can't get them to fit (holes not aligned properly!!!!) so just waiting for a call back.  I may well end up just using the manual openers and get my money back......lit annoys me when things aren't right, grrrrrrrrrr 

KEF
24/03/2014 at 11:24

I thought Tracey was talking about putting openers in the roof panels.    I haven't seen a GH with openers in the sides, just vents.

KEF
24/03/2014 at 11:33

Tracey I'm not sure what I think about auto openers. Good if you are out and it gets too warm in GH. Downside when we had very bad winds but warm weather they opened I was worried the windows would get damaged.

Would like to know what other think.

24/03/2014 at 14:24

I hadn't thought about that KEF  Too late now, they are fitted and ahout to go on the GH......it may be complete by the end of the day 

24/03/2014 at 14:26

Tracey - (someone will correct me) I don't think it makes very much difference.

You're right, KEF.....I have louvered windows in the bottom row of glass in my GH and they are really useful in hot weather.

KEF
24/03/2014 at 16:23

Tracey they might be very good for you as you work, and don't suppose we often get gales in hot weather. It also looks like yours is in a sheltered position.

Thanks David, it wasn't something that I had an option with in my big GH, got it for nothing, only needed a new door. Cash was tight at that point, something to do with needing all new windows in the house. When I get another to replace the  rotting one I will have louvered windows, ordinary top opening and not auto openers. The temptation to make a comment about Dellboy Trotter and lavry doors is overwhelming.

Edd
24/03/2014 at 18:06

Nice one KEF. 

At the size of the GH, the advantages of automatic windows out way the wind factor and how often it happens, many times over. The wax auto vents do work and are more preferable to me than any odd? wind gust. You can't have it both ways otherwise we would all be on Dragons Den!!! lol.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Edd.

KEF
24/03/2014 at 19:16

Edd

24/03/2014 at 19:40

Mine were on opposite sides of the roof, but not opposite one another, presumably cos if the wind blew in one, it would blow straight out of the other, whereas if it hits an interior wall/roof, it must presumably circulate round the space better before escaping, thus ventilating better.  I have just re-assembled it as it was when I bought it second hand, presuming that whoever put it up knew better than me cos I'm a novice!!    Nearly there - so excited.  Just need to order some replacement panes and we're off!

KEF
24/03/2014 at 19:49

BB2 Eek eek, a GH is so much fun. Enjoy yours

24/03/2014 at 20:03

KEF - it's been a long 'birth' since I first came on here asking people whether or not I should go for one on Ebay.  Spent today putting the glass in and working out what's missing!!  Photo when I've finished.

24/03/2014 at 20:40

Automatic roof vent works for me

24/03/2014 at 21:28

Busy Bee, I was thinking about you earlier and was going to ask how the GH was coming along.  Glad it's going well and hope you enjoy it, I can't wait to get in mine 

24/03/2014 at 22:00

Hi Tracey.

As said by others.  Roof vents are best off-set.  Likewise side windows, otherwise you get a blow thogh.  Regarding the auto openers.  Try and persevere with them.  They really are worth their weight in gold.  My GH is cedarwood framed, so fixing this and that is no problem.  I have two roof vents.  Only one has an auto opener fitted.  Sometimes I might not go into the GH for days, even a week or more.  Thanks to the autovent, my faithful slave.   I find all is well.  The weather we get in this country.   One minute it can be freezing the next, even just an hour of extra heat, can sometimes cause problems.  Good old Autovent.  Opens and closes when needed.

email image
20 messages