Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Quick GH question

Is there any benefit to 'staggering' the opening windows or having them opposite each other?  ie on a GH with 4 glazed panels having both openers for example on panel 3 or is it better to have one opener on panel 2 and one on panel 3 on the other side, or does it make no difference at all?? 

I hope that makes sense, hard to describe without pictures!! Just to add too that I have opening vents at the back.

Thanks.

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

I'd stagger them. Based on GH's I've seen. Better airflow me thinks.

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

Thanks KEF, that's what I wondered but wasn't sure image

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

I prefer openers in the roof too. Heat rises, windows on the sides could cause draughts.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 15,039

I agree with both of the above. My understanding of physics, suggests that, windows in the roof, and, on opposite sides, would encourage better airflow

How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border

Sorry, they are in the roof, I didn't make that clear.  Automatic openers but I can't get them to fit (holes not aligned properly!!!!) so just waiting for a call back.  I may well end up just using the manual openers and get my money back......lit annoys me when things aren't right, grrrrrrrrrr image

I thought Tracey was talking about putting openers in the roof panels.image    I haven't seen a GH with openers in the sides, just vents.

Tracey I'm not sure what I think about auto openers. Good if you are out and it gets too warm in GH. Downside when we had very bad winds but warm weather they opened I was worried the windows would get damaged.

Would like to know what other think.

I hadn't thought about that KEF image Too late now, they are fitted and ahout to go on the GH......it may be complete by the end of the day image

• Tracey - (someone will correct me) I don't think it makes very much difference.

You're right, KEF.....I have louvered windows in the bottom row of glass in my GH and they are really useful in hot weather.

Tracey they might be very good for you as you work, and don't suppose we often get gales in hot weather. It also looks like yours is in a sheltered position.

Thanks David, it wasn't something that I had an option with in my big GH, got it for nothing, only needed a new door. Cash was tight at that point, something to do with needing all new windows in the house. imageWhen I get another to replace the  rotting one I will have louvered windows, ordinary top opening and not auto openers. The temptation to make a comment about Dellboy Trotter and lavry doors is overwhelming. imageimage